Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Lifted

Default Aprs

First, do you say "Ay-pers" or APRS?

Next, for a long-distance drive, say cross country, would you use the SmartBeaconing setting or a time-based transmit?

Is my 5w HT going to reach out & touch stuff driving though places like Kansas?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

A-P-R-S, spelled out.

Smart Beaconing and I would use that all the time. Most APRS controllers implement it and have variables you can set to adjust it based on speed, delta in heading, length of time at location, etc. On a typical road trip you'll end up beaconing about every 2 minutes at Interstate speed but it will slow it down in traffic or when you're parked.

But most digipeaters and I-Gates will ignore packets if you send them too often anyway. If you set your beacon to transmit any less than 2 minutes you might get 50% through typically. Although most will be repeated locally, so your location to other hams will update, just not all of them get to the Internet.

My experience is that 5W is sufficient most of the time but you'll want to use an external antenna. I generally use 10W or 15W for the APRS side if I have it available. It seems to increase my received packet rate by about 25% through lightly populated spaces. There is no reason to use >25W ever, if a digital signal isn't going to make it with that then 50W isn't going to be enough.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Lifted

Cool...I plan to use my Kenwood TH-D72 connected to a Larsen 2/70 mag mount.

I heard someone say ay-pers the other day and it kinda hurt my brain.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was recently wondering if there is much APRS activity in the club and stumbled across this old thread. Is it just the two of you posting above or is the club as a whole getting more into APRS?

I've been playing around with the idea of setting up a mobile install using a 'Mobilinkd' Bluetooth TNC + APRSdroid + Cheap Motorola Maxtrac or similar radio for about a $100 all in but don't know if I would use it much. Seems like an APRS set-up like this would have good RF and a nice interface for a lot less $$ than the APRS radios on the market.

Should I bother?
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default I do the APRS thing.

I love the APRS stuff. I will confess I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to this stuff.

I set this up initially for a couple reasons. 1. my wife doesn't enjoy this 'overlanding' thing like I do, and it gives her peace of mind to know where I am. I'm cool with that. It's also a safety device. In the event of an emergency, it's a way for the 'good guys' to come find me.

2. I don't have the best sense of direction, and I like to review my routes after the trip.

I've got three setups: an "RTG" setup from Byonics.com that is literally a plug and play setup. the second is a TNC, GPS puck and antenna plugged into an extra 2m radio installed in the rear of the truck. that way I always have a full power backup 2m. I only transmit my APRS signal at 5w or 10w.

third is integrated into my Yaesu 8GR HT. It's with this setup I can get even more out of APRS. Kurt(CruiserOutfitters) and I were messing with APRS Text messages, too. Since I can "see" him on my radio, I can send text messages from my radio to his. Additionally, with his Kenwood, he can see where I am in relation to his location (bearing and distance). if you have to meet up with another group in Utah "somewhere" it can be really cool. We used it for him to find our camp at dark one night.

With "openaprs" website, you can register and send APRS messages to folks through the site.

It's cool. post up more questions...and daveindenver can enlighten us even more.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Lifted

I haven't messed with it much ham-wise since I posted. I've used the Android App but that's kinda cheating :-)