Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
<edit>
Forgot to add. The RT software is Windows specific so if you're a Mac person, like me, you have to wade into the world of virtual machines to make it work. It's not that difficult, you just need a copy of VMWare Fusion or Parallels. Since my day job has me working in multiple VMs pretty much constantly, I'm more than happy to offer help in getting that set up if anyone needs it.
</edit>
Yes, please. All I have currently is a Bao-Feng UV-5R. I've managed to program in a few simplex frequencies and even got the Colorado Connection to work after lots of trial and error and some help from Marco.

I have the programming cable and supposedly you can get CHIRP to run on the Mac, but I can't get it to work. Perhaps I'll have more success with running it through a windows emulator...

So, what's a good, cheap windows emulator that will work for this?
KEŘITH
Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So, what's a good, cheap windows emulator that will work for this?
VMWare Fusion is $50. Parallels is $60. My personal preference is VMWare.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I have the programming cable and supposedly you can get CHIRP to run on the Mac, but I can't get it to work. Perhaps I'll have more success with running it through a windows emulator.
There is no need to deal with Windows or emulators here. CHiRP being a Linux application is a PITA to run on Windows, paradoxically, it's actually much easier to run it in OSX. In Windows using RT Systems software is easier to get going.

I assume your Mac is not seeing the USB cables? What brand cables are you using or do you know what USB chip it is using? I have used CHiRP to program a FTM-350, VX-6, VX-7, FT-60, IC-7000, FT-817 and FT-857 so far.

It's not difficult at all. I'm a Linux/UNIX geek so it was almost embarrassingly easy. If you can use a text editor and navigate with the terminal you can do it, too. In fact, you can do it through the GUI if you download native MacVim. Don't be tempted to use TextEdit, it will honk up the files and drop character turds in the file. You have to use a program that won't screw up UNIX-native XML files.

RT Systems cables, which I use pretty much exclusively, use FTDI interfaces. FTDI seems to have written support into the Windows driver but it does not seem they've made it into the Mac one nor does it seem Apple has done it either yet (at least as of 10.8.4).

FWIW, RT Systems use a VID of 0x2100 or 8448 as an integer and the PID varies by cable. As integers (which is what OS X kext need to be) the RT cable CT57B is 40530, CT62B is 40534, CT81B is 40538, CT29B is 40532, RTS01 is 40535 and CT63 is 40536.

At this point the cables should be unplugged.

I started with 2.2.18 of the FTDI VCP.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Download it and install it like normal. You probably should restart after installing it, although it's not strictly necessary.

At this point you have a choice, open a Terminal or download and install Vim and do it all in the GUI. The steps assume you are doing in the Terminal. You can edit the file in MacVim but you will have to use the Terminal at the end, so might as well do it the right way from the start.

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Once that is done, navigate to system extensions. If you are using MacVim, you can do it through the Finder. Otherwise type the following. BTW, in UNIX you can type the first character or two of a directory or file and press 'tab' to complete. That makes navigation MUCH easier, use it!

cd /System/Library/Extensions

It will make life a bit easier if you also:

alias ll='ls -al'

Now do:

ll | grep FTDI

The character between ll and grep is called the pipe, it's the character above the backslash on the far right of your keyboard. The pipe in UNIX allows you to stack commands, ll (actually 'ls') is list and grep is a search function. What this command is doing is listing (with modifiers of 'a' and 'l', which I had you do in the alias) and searching for FTDI. You can always type in OS X "man" (e.g. type "man ls" to get all you'd ever want to know about the listing function) to get information, this brings up the manual page for the function.

You should see:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 5 06:36 FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

If so, your driver install was successful and you can move on.

cd FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/

ll

You should see:

total 408
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Jun 13 16:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 5 06:36 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 206353 Jun 13 16:24 Info.plist
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 8 2012 MacOS
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Aug 8 2012 Resources

Now type the following. You need to have root privileges to edit and do some thing, which is what "sudo" is for, it's superuserdo. You will have to enter the password of an administrator.

sudo vi Info.plist

This will open Info.plist in Vim, which is a text editor. I added entries for all the cables as well as a bunch of other stuff, like a TIAO protocol adapter for JTAG. As an example the entry for one of my cables looks like this:

<key>CT62B Radio Cable</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>FTDIUSBSerialDriver</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBInterface</string>
<key>bConfigurationValue</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>bInterfaceNumber</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>40534</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>8448</integer>
</dict>

The things to note are the identifier key, idProduct (PID) and idVendor (VID).

If you're never used Vi, you type "i" to insert text (your prompt may change from a block to an underscore, or maybe not) and use spaces and not tabs to line up all the text. After you edit the kext file you need to save and exit from Vim. Type <shift> <:> to enter command mode and then type "wq" to save (e.g. write) the file and quit.

Now you need to load it into the kernel (kext is 'kernel extension').

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extension/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

It will be unremarkable, nothing will happen. But now type:

ll /dev | grep cu

You will see

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 3 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 1 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 5 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Nokia2720a-2b-NokiaPCSu

Plug in your cable.

ll /dev | grep cu

You will see:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 3 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 1 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 5 Jun 16 14:27 cu.Nokia2720a-2b-NokiaPCSu
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 9 Jun 28 06:02 cu.usbserial-RTT9DVPN

DONE! That is the device driver for your cable. Now in CHiRP when you go to download or upload from radio you will see it under ports, use it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 06-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

I can write the kext information into a patch file if it would help, although I only know the VID and PID for RT Systems cables. If you are not using them we'd have to figure out the info, which is not hard.

Plug in your cable (at this point it won't matter if you have a proper driver running).
Go to "About This Mac" in the upper left corner under the Apple menu.
Go to "More Info"
Press "System Report"

This will bring up a window with a whole ton of stuff.

Go to "USB"

You should see under the device tree a listing for your cable. Find it and highlight it. This should give you a bunch of stuff.

Name:  Untitled_thumb.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  86.0 KB

This is where you figure out the VID and PID for a device that you then later plug into the driver.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, a patch file to update your FTDI OSX driver to the RT Systems cables I have. This should cover most common cables.

It would be a good idea to back up the original first, though.

cp /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist ~/Info.plist.ORIG

Context (after installing FTDI driver) is:

patch /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist rtsys_cables.patch

This might or might not have to be run with sudo.

Reboot after and you should have access to the cables in CHiRP. If you have different cables LMK and maybe we can muddle something together.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtsys_cables.patch.zip (601 Bytes, 24 views)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
......I have used CHiRP to program a FTM-350, VX-6, VX-7, FT-60, IC-7000, FT-817 and FT-857 so far......
Dave, have you had any luck using CHiRP to reprogram your 8x7's to the new 60 meter channel?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Alright, so I did some of those things, and... It works. Just programmed my Baofeng for most of the Colorado Connection repeaters and a few others around the area (in addition to the Rising Sun simplex frequencies and 146.520). I have a new antenna on the way from Amazon and hopefully I'll be in business shortly.

Now, as for the next step: I want to install a Kenwood TM-D710 in my truck... Because go big or go home, right? So, I want to put the Antenna (Larson NMO 2/70) on the driver-side fender. Can anyone recommend a good mount for that? One that is known to work in a Tacoma? I want it to mount to the fender and be able to open and close the hood w/o having to remove the antenna.
KEŘITH
Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yup, I've got those.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Gamiviti is about the best option for Tacoma fender mounts, just requires some slight custom fitting. Head & shoulders better than generic ones. They work best with NMO mounts.

But even though they are designed for Toyota, they will still flex a little and rub the paint on the hood. I put a piece of tape over the edge as a rub strip until I get around to drilling the hole in the roof. The thought of snaking the coax just makes me procrastinate for some reason...

Why have you decided on the TM-D710? Just curious if you're planning on using it for APRS since it's a lot of radio and the price reflects that. I run the FTM-350 in the old truck and have been seriously considering doing the Kenwood in the Taco. But you're talking $550 for the radio + $125 for the GPS-710 just to start (if you can even find the GPS-710, a lot of places are backordered). I really wish Yaesu hadn't discontinued the FTM-350 already. :-(

Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM

I settled on the TM-D710 because I really wanted to be able to to cross-band repeat, would like to be able to do APRS eventually (and easily), and it gets really good reviews on eham.net.

Will go check out the gamiviti mounts...
KEŘITH