Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Yaesu FT-2800M kicking my butt...

So, I installed my Yaesu FT-2800M in to my 40 this weekend. Ran the cable, and installed the connector for the radio alright (after the second try)...When I try to scan for any transmission, I'm not receiving any signals really.

I did get one CW signal, and one guy talking about a Conoco station, but that was it...nothing...

I've tried searching for a solution of what I'm doing wrong, but can't find anything.

Too bad this radio doesn't have a NOOB function to just plug and play.

Any suggestions where to start?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Need more info to diagnose.

Since hams do not broadcast but transmit, when scanning you have a lower chance of hitting an active frequency than the scan function on your regular AM/FM radio. The ham radio only knows to stop when there is a carrier present and will just roll through frequencies if nothing is going on.

So you need to sit on a frequency for a while to hear something, especially simplex. Repeaters have to identify themselves periodically and the CW you heard was probably one identifying itself. Most will give their call signs in Morse every 10 minutes because it's quicker, clearer and can be done simultaneous underneath people talking.

I guess, what is your question more specifically? Are you wondering if your radio is working?

Easiest way I know to check is tune the NOAA weather stations. There are 7 frequencies that the NWS uses to broadcast the weather and they are the same across the country. Which one is used locally depends on how near another NOAA station is, they want to make sure two stations on the same frequency are plenty far apart that you will never hear both.

There are about 4 that you can hear in Denver. The main one is in Glendale at 162.550. It should come in very loud, the RX level should push the bars all the way over and you'll probably hear it even without an antenna.

But you can also hear stations at 162.500, 162.475 and 162.525 with varying strength. If you can hear all of them then you can assume that your installation is probably OK, at least good enough to try transmitting or using a SWR bridge to dial in your antenna. If you don't hear more than one then you might have a short or open in the antenna or feedline.

How sure are you that you installed the coax connector correctly? It's easy to mess those up, not enough heat and you get no solder flow, too much heat you melt the coax dielectric and ruin it.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
How sure are you that you installed the coax connector correctly? It's easy to mess those up, not enough heat and you get no solder flow, too much heat you melt the coax dielectric and ruin it.
Thanks for the reply Dave, I forgot to mention the radio has a WX channels pre programmed, and got one channel before I re-soldered the connector. I didn't try to get the same channels after I re-soldered the connector.

When I scanned, I figured there would be plenty of radio action to stumble upon someones transmission.

I'm assuming I have the connector correct because I get decent ohms from the center pin, and the antenna center connector, and remains open if I try to check ohms from center pin to the ground (outside) of the same connector. If I check the ground side of the antenna connector to the tub, I get continuity.

I'll lock in to some of the frequencies you listed, and will listen.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

OK, so I guess I should demonstrate more patients with this radio. I received all weather channels fine, and scanned once more to find someone chatting. At the end of their conversation, I transmitted a radio check, and was able to connect with one of them.

I guess I was expecting more of a CB type traffic on the ham, not really thinking about the hundreds of frequencies to transmit from, rather than the 40 channels a CB offers.

I have a TON to learn about this radio, but I'm happy I can receive and transmit from my radio...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

I got the same radio, how are finding the user interface, is it pretty easy to setup?

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew, I wish I had answers for you...but to be honest...I haven't done anything with it since I made my initial (and only) contact. I really need to start trying to program repeaters and frequencies that are used more commonly.