Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Floating an idea

In my secret other life, I am a heavy motorcycle user... dirtbikes, dualsports, and adventure riding being my preferred vintage.

There is an event put on every year on or about Valentine's day that is probably best described as a hooligan-esque version of Cruise Moab, Easter Jeep, and a bunch of snow and foolishness. OK, not as big as EJ or CM, but pretty popular among the hard core.

It's called the Elephant Ride, over Guanella Pass. It's reputedly named after Hannibal invading Rome over the Alps on elephant-back, which seems appropriate. Motorcycles of all descriptions participate, bikes with sidecars do the best (Urals, Russian-made, or old BMWs, or homemade rigs of all descriptions; dirtbikes with ice screws in their tires; streetbikes that don't get very far; sometimes the odd Harley; usually big thumpers). Some guys camp at Grant the night before; some ride up if weather or ice permit; some trailer their bikes.

It's a hoot. The problem is, I guess Clear Creek has decided to not maintain Guanella at the top. Even a Ural with a driven sidecar wheel would find a couple feet of snow a showstopper. So I was asked (jokingly at first, then not so jokingly) if we might be interested in breaking trail.

Good opportunity for bridge-building in the OHV community. Sometimes there is tension between 4x4ers and dirt bikers, for no good reason IMHO.

As Red Green would say, we're all in this together. Does a Guanella February snow run sound like fun? What say ye?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Rising Sun Commander

That sounds like a ton of fun to me.. do you go from Grant, or start in Georgetown? does it make a difference?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Probably not, but the Elephant Ride starts from Grant, so if we started there and didn't make it, at least the bikes would have a shot at part of the journey. I'm thinking like, the day before the Elephant Ride, if the organizers would think that would help them.

Bikes run faster than trucks, is why. If the club is down with it, I'll pursue it with the organizers.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Has anyone been over Guanella since all of the road work has been started? Not sure if it has been completed yet but it has been a while since I was up there. It appeared they were going to pave quite a bit of the previously unpaved road with some of the sketchier switchback sections being rerouted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Probably not, but the Elephant Ride starts from Grant, so if we started there and didn't make it, at least the bikes would have a shot at part of the journey. I'm thinking like, the day before the Elephant Ride, if the organizers would think that would help them.

Bikes run faster than trucks, is why. If the club is down with it, I'll pursue it with the organizers.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

The and I went up over Guanella back in October...It was rutty and chewed up pretty good from all the work. Several sections were pretty bad, rutted enough to jar fillings loose

Not sure how much further they got with the road work before the snow hit. Should be nice when they get it all done though. The latest I have driven Guanella was in December one year. It was an easy trip with hard packed snow in most places IIRC.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd be up for helping out. tentative date? I'm suprised it doesn't see snowmobile traffic.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Sounds like a blast. I love that drive.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I'm in
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

I found a second pair of chains in my garage piles, so I am up for it!
The website (not often updated) is here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Elephant_Ride_2007/

The date is Feb. 10th & 11th. 10th is for campsite rambunctiousness, 11th is for mechanical event precipitation. Fancy for "breaking bikes".

So far there appears to be a split whether they want help or not. I expect when they are only able to proceed 20 feet in 4' of snow, opinions might change. I offered for us to stay on the right side of the road to preserve virgin snow for the hardcore. There is some sensitivity (very slight in all fairness) to not having it turn into a 4x4 event, which I'm sure we can understand.

Anywho, I'll keep you appraised of the evolution of this idea! We can certainly go SOMEwhere that weekend.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

They are doing the math and realizing without some kind of pre-run by a 4x4 or snow cat, they will go all of 20 ft.

There was this comment, in response to whether they wanted a 4x4 club to bust trail, or if they liked their meat 'raw':
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncture4u
The only meat would be whoever was in the 1st vehicle, off the side of the road. The plows left a 7 ft high drift there. Whoever would try that particular spot in a 4X4 is damnnn balsy. I don't think it could be done and I was up there in the 1st part of December...

Dustin
That's all it took to hook me!

So we would be talking doing Guanella Pass the weekend of 2/3-4 or so. I'm still going out of my way to not be at all pushy, and to make sure they know we have no designs on 'taking over' the event. Looking likely.
KDØRCH
Bio Page