Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Wincher

Forgot to mention that I have winter camped in this tent. Not as warm as a 4-season tent, but do-able. A good sleeping bag kept me warm. I do not think you can buy it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source3 View Post
I always trust my Sierra Design - 3 person "Reserve Combi". Just go back from a quick over-nighter. Always holds up in a good rainstorm. Big Agnus is another reliable tent.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

http://www.backcountry.com/alps-moun...erson-3-season

We've had one of theses for 4 years or so. We use it when not staying in the camper.
I like the simple 2 pole design. Enough mesh that it's not too hot. But fly offers good coverage. Has doors on both sides of tent. I figure when one zipper breaks, I've got a spare door on the other side.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Rock Stacker

NF Peregrine on Denver CL for $80. Seller misspelled as Perigren. Roomy hammerhead design. More of a 2 person tent. Older so better built than new NF.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdappy View Post
NF Peregrine on Denver CL for $80. Seller misspelled as Perigren. Roomy hammerhead design. More of a 2 person tent. Older so better built than new NF.
Thanks. Looks nice, but I'm looking for a tent that has mesh windows that can be closed or covered (and not just by the fly).
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Rock Stacker

I would seriously consider any REI brand tent as their warranty is unquestioned at any REI store.

I do have an older North Face tent from the pre sell-out days... it's at NF right now getting the windows on the fly repaired at no cost to me. But if it was an REI tent, I'd take it into the store and they'd give me a replacement on the spot.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGator View Post
I would seriously consider any REI brand tent as their warranty is unquestioned at any REI store.

I do have an older North Face tent from the pre sell-out days... it's at NF right now getting the windows on the fly repaired at no cost to me. But if it was an REI tent, I'd take it into the store and they'd give me a replacement on the spot.
Not any more. REI changed their "unlimited" warranty to one year from date of purchase and only for manufacture's defects.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
Not any more. REI changed their "unlimited" warranty to one year from date of purchase and only for manufacture's defects.
I understand that the new policy is not absolutely rigid and I suspect on REI branded stuff it's a fair bet they'll honor it somewhat longer than a year. The clerk also told me it was just like before, no questions on anything just that instead of forever it's now a year.

Not as generous as it used to be but too many people abusing the policy like a gear rental service, bringing back worn out tents and boots after 5 years and stuff.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
well that certainly sucks
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Lifted

what I run, i've been exceptionally happy with all of these.

Mountain Hardware Litewedge 3.

This is the go-to car camping tent. i've had it for 14 years and its still going strong. I lost count of how many days i've spent in this thing a decade ago and its never let me down. roomy, reasonably lite for a large tent. my wife and I use a queen size air mattress in it. just got done sleeping in it for 9 days in wyoming.

MH no longer makes this exact tent, but snap it up if you find one used. The current model Drifter 3 looks like an update of this.

Mountain Hardware Trango 2 and 3.

These are my expedition tents, and overkill for anybody not actually in the $hit. but... if you want to spend the dough, don't mind a bit of weight, and want bombproof security, they are awesome. Used them in Alaska, the Karakorum, Canadian Rockies, MI UP in winter, Cacades in winter and ice climbing on the north shore of lake superior.

MSR Hubba 2p.

Great lightweight two person tent for when you have to pack it in and aren't expecting epic weather. great for backpacking or climbing when you want an actual tent, split between two people it packs down to the size of a grapefruit and can be stuff in a camelback.

Black Diamond/Bibler I-Tent

lightweight four season mountaineering tent, just barely big enough to fit two tired hungry climbers. if we are way up high and actually intend to spend a couple of nights, this is the one we take. very warm, but can be prone to condensation, big enough to provide shelter, but not much comfort.

bivy sacks:

I have a couple of different BD sacks, if you are solo, or wanting to go extra lite and don't really need the company, this is an awesome option. i've never hiked a tent into the rockies on a climbing mission, the tent stays next to the car and i just do the bivy sack. if i'm in the backcountry with the boys... its bivy sack time. with my wife... bust out the MSR.

overall opinion: be realistic about your needs. 99% of what everybody does is car comping, buy a nice large reliable tent that will last you a long time. skip the hype and debate. I might consider a hilleberg for when its time to replace the MH litewedge... but honestly its probably not worth the significant up-charge and we've still got years of service to go on this thing.

beyond a solid car camping tent... everything else is a specialty item and its going to sit in the basement unless you NEED that specialty.

also, absolutely DO NOT discount the awesomeness of the bivy sack for actual backcountry use. my favorite setup is a BD Twilight Bivy combined with a MH ultralamina 35 bag and 3/4 length thermarest pro lite. all together this weighs about 2 pounds and fits in the bottom of your pack, sets up in 2 minutes and i sleep like a baby. if the weather is bad enough for this to not be comfortable, its probably time to hike out and go home.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Well Matt, no two people recommended the same tent. Some help we are!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW