Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Isn't there a second skinny tube parallel to the filler tube that connects to the filler tube near the gas cap? I thought that was a vent line to prevent fuel being pushed up the filler tube. Maybe the vent line is plugged up?

Both of my 60's would make continuous gurling noises from the fuel tank in warm weather. I went as far as replacing the charcol canister on one of them hoping to solve the problem but it didn't help.

My 80 has developed the stinky fuel smell of a saturated charcol canister. I need to look into replacing it. On a recent camping trip after parking the the truck, I noticed the fuel smell and decided to just vent the tank pressure and get the smell done with quickly. I loosened the cap and the pressure surged out of the tank but didn't stop as I expected. It kept going, I waited maybe 30 seconds and the flow continued so I resealed the cap and found something else to do. Maybe it was the combo of the altitude, the heat and the ethanol content that made the system evaporate so rapidly.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm certain my 40 vapor lock issues are the fault of ethanol fuel, but the 60 forcing 1/4 tank out the filler doesn't make sense. If it was just the ethanol causing that then it seems every vehicle would do it.
Yes, shouldn't the evaporative emissions system capture the vapors and route to the charcoal can?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Yes, shouldn't the evaporative emissions system capture the vapors and route to the charcoal can?
That can is open to the atmosphere on the bottom, so it should be able to continue to recieve vapors for as long as the tank has internal pressure (probably until the liquid cools off).

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

My 80 series would develop amazing in-tank pressures on a hot day. 30 seconds after you removed the cap, it was still hissing and spraying liquid fuel droplets out around the filler neck. I don't think that modern evap systems are truly vented to the atmosphere, even after all the charcoal cannister action. I'm convinced also that FJ55 gas tanks crack/rupture on the top due to pressure cycling - even back then.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm going to check the hoses and charcoal canister. Also found a couple of threads on MUD suggesting switching the tubes on the canister to create constant vent.

'85 FJ60
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

The charcoal canister has a couple of check valves on it. The fuel vapor has to build enough pressure to push a check valve open before it can flow into the charcoal. The pressure required to open the valve is supposed to be pretty low but it exceeds what you can produce by blowing on it with your mouth. I think the valves get sticky over time and the cracking pressure can go up.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

So if this check valve wasn't working properly, this would cause excessive pressure build up in the tank, and extended "hissing" when you remove the gas cap?

I stopped somewhere in Wyoming earlier this week (heat of the day and driving at 80 mph) to fill up the 80 and the hissing and bubbling went on for a minute or more - so much so that I couldn't get the gas pump to put fuel into the tank. The vapors and gurgling kept shutting off the pump.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I had this happen today!!! In my new 2013 Club-car kawasaki 350cc powered golf cart. I had just dropped off passengers. Super hot day 85 degrees at 8200ft. The fitting with the hose that goes from the tank to a charcoal canister, blew off and I had a fountain of fuel that was powerful enough to lift the golf cart seat. Gas was just bubbling, never seen anything like it before.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Makes me wonder if the gas stations are secretly feeding us the E25 already.

I replaced a crappy aftermarket gas cap with an OEM unit. Seems to seal better. I noticed a big Whooosh of pressure when I opened it with the new cap. Definitely some excess pressure building in there.

'85 FJ60
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I just got back from Ouray and near the top of Imogene we stopped and I thought I had a flat tire the hissing from the gas cap was so loud. Took the cap off and the hissing lasted for 20 or so seconds.

I blamed it on the altitude and sped off.

97 LX450