Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Question: ATV for ag use

Seems to me an ATV would be more useful and cheaper for general ag use (snowplowing, light tractor work such as discing and light harrowing, even manure spreading/ chain link drag) than a tractor. *Might* even be useful hunting in the right situation, though I have a Toyota ATV for that. I don't tend to like ATVs and hunting combined, but...

Thoughts? Someone got one they would really like to get rid of for ?

I suppose I could make stuff to drag behind the Chili but that doesn't seem so workable.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

You know Bill; I've got an atv that is going hunting this year. I use mine for plowing and fun.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure what size tractor you're considering, but one nice thing about the SCUT and the like is the ability to take a 3-point hitch and various PTOs. This opens the range and utility of implements greatly. You see a lot of ATV accessories for this sort of thing but they are often based on sleeve or receiver hitches so you don't get a lot of controllability with them.

One concern I would have is in the low end torque and stress. Tractors are designed with drivetrains designed to do their work at slow speed, so either the gearing is very low or the engine drives hydraulics for hydrostatic transaxles (our little dude uses a Tuff Torq K92) that won't overheat when plowing and tilling.

I'm not familiar with ATVs to know if they can handle being run at walking speed for long periods under load, so it might be a total non-issue.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyfj40 View Post
You know Bill; I've got an atv that is going hunting this year. I use mine for plowing and fun.
So are you saying it might be for sale?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Not sure what size tractor you're considering, ...
Not really considering a tractor, due to cost and narrow uses. I've had a small one (sold it to UB in fact) and as useful as it was, if I can do almost all the same stuff with an ATV, it just seems more all around useful... and a lot less money. OK, no frontloader or PTO in the rear, but I don't really need that very often at all (and when I do I can rent that).
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Went through 3 plow vehicles in Pine before I finally went ATV. Wish I would have gone ATV from the start. 1/2 the time for plowing, more maneuverable, multi-use, cheaper, much easier to get "unstuck", etcetera, etcetera. I can't tell you how many times D. Brown winched me out!!!

Here's my line up:
-fj40... Broken axle
-T100... Broken axle
-FJ80... Figured I'd kill it; retired back to DD & offroading.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, ATVs are great. I've got a Honda Foreman that I use for everything around here. Go Honda all the way if you buy an ATV.
'00 UZJ100
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Sorry Bill, no.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill, I have a 1994 Honda 300 4WD with a plow. I have owned it since new and it is in great shape with low hours (like 100 or less total) if you are interested. I would like to get about $1500 with plow. The plow is not attached, obviously. Terry
Attached Images

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"