Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
So after many hours of examination of the new tents that are currently available from a myriad of manufacturers, I gave up and turned to eBay. I am now the proud owner of a second Sierra Designs "Lookout" tent, this one from 1996. Cost was $100.79 + shipping. It's a slightly updated version of my 1992 model. Arrived in good condition. I'm pretty happy with it.

I think it's weird that the only tents that can be sealed up these days are the hard core, expedition-worthy 4-season tents. Must be global warming.
Great choice. We have the same one from the same vintage (mid-90's). Still going strong and we use it all the time.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Lifted

Speaking of Kelty, one thing they make that i've gotten a ton of great use out of is the Noah's tarp. especially if you find them on sale or clearance they are dirt cheap and super useful.

i have a 12' and a 16' and its a great way to get some sun/storm shelter in a small and dirt cheap package. they are not flat in any direction, so if you rig them up correctly you can get them drum tight and they'll stay tight and solid through some horrendous weather.

the 12' model in this photo was used as our 'base camp' shelter for about 6 years doing about 20 days a year outdoors. it finally bit the dust when the grommets that the poles attached to failed. being stretched so tightly puts a lot of load on those points, even still it earned its keep and i've reinforced the 16' with steel plates. they are a bit of a DIY project though, ditch kelty's rigging for spectre cord, a lot of small quick links and a bunch of MSR groundhog pegs.

metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.