Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Argentine Pass August 17-18

Heading up to Argentine Saturday August 17 and 18th.

Plan for Saturday is to check out the miners cabin across from Waldorf (hike) then hit up Argentine Pass proper. Saturday evening want to check out the sunset from Sunset Peak, i.e the tramway house you see on top of the peak. Planning on camping along the power line road.

Sunday i'd like to hike to Gray's Peak via the ridge from the end of the line on McClellan Mountain. Want to do this early to avoid any storms. From there, check out Santiago and start heading back down the hill.

lets meet at the trail head at 9am. 146.460.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post

Sunday i'd like to hike to Gray's Peak via the ridge from the end of the line on McClellan Mountain. Want to do this early to avoid any storms. From there, check out Santiago and start heading back down the hill.

Cool. So is there a trail head down on that plateau then? When we were back there in June we hit a drift and couldn't go any further, but were able to see the Gray's Peak trail from that other spur behind us, where those old anchor points are. But are you able to park at the end there, then hike down and join the Gray's Peak trail? I could see the liking this adventure if so...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Cool. So is there a trail head down on that plateau then? When we were back there in June we hit a drift and couldn't go any further, but were able to see the Gray's Peak trail from that other spur behind us, where those old anchor points are. But are you able to park at the end there, then hike down and join the Gray's Peak trail? I could see the liking this adventure if so...
Tim,

from the end of the line (on McClellan), we would be heading up, towards Argentine Pass. Where you park at the end of line, you can look down on Grays and Torreys hike. This route would take you to the left (Argentine Valley behind you). No trail that I know of, other than the completed survey for the extension of the Argentine Central.

You guys should totally come.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Sunday i'd like to hike to Gray's Peak via the ridge from the end of the line on McClellan Mountain. Want to do this early to avoid any storms.
I am interested in meeting up for the climb up Gray's. Trying to find the route up from McClellan but I'm coming up with blanks. I did find the one from Chihuahua Gulch off Montezuma. That's on the other side though isn't it? What time are you planning on starting the climb?

Keep me posted. I'd like to try and knock out my first 14er this summer.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
I am interested in meeting up for the climb up Gray's. Trying to find the route up from McClellan but I'm coming up with blanks. I did find the one from Chihuahua Gulch off Montezuma. That's on the other side though isn't it? What time are you planning on starting the climb?

Keep me posted. I'd like to try and knock out my first 14er this summer.
So theres this report I've been going off of. Seems to be a lot of x's now.

Only other report I can find was this one. Mind the fact that he is a forum hog.

Really want to do the hike. Check something off for the summer....

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Only other report I can find was this one. Mind the fact that he is a forum hog.
And he drives a Jeep...

I just found this description. http://www.summitpost.org/east-ridge/309390

That talks about leaving from Waldorf or Santiago, climbing Edwards then down to the ridge that goes up Gray's. Is that the route you wanted? Sounds like a much less used route which would be nice on a weekend.

You want to double up and summit Torreys too?

I'll tell Bec today that I'm planning on doing this. If I leave the house at 4, I probably could be at Waldorf by 6ish. Is that an early enough start or do you want to go earlier?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Rising Sun member

The point is Perry wants to follow the route that was to be the extension of the argentine central to grays peak. Not a standard route for present day peak bagging by any means. Slavin, you would be booking it to be at Waldorf from boulder in two hours
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
The point is Perry wants to follow the route that was to be the extension of the argentine central to grays peak. Not a standard route for present day peak bagging by any means. Slavin, you would be booking it to be at Waldorf from boulder in two hours
Wow, Deleted my post. Suggestions not allowed apparently.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
At that hour of the morning, I can be in Georgetown in 45-60 min. Georgetown to Waldorf should be about another hour. No? It's only 6 miles up the road and if you take the upper route, rather than the lower one by the creek, it should be relatively quick. Getting up and leaving earlier is no big deal. I spent a good portion of my life chasing swells and the rising sun with a camera...

What's wrong with a non-standard route besides the fact that it might take a little longer?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun member

Sorry guys, didn't mean to come off snippy, I guess typing on the phone is even worse than with a keyboard

Nothing wrong with any way to get to the top of grays peak, it just seemed like there were questions about the route perry was intending on tackling and I was trying to help clarify. Sorry about that
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD