Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Rising Sun member

Default America's Cup

Does anybody else love wind power? I know Dean does.

I don't follow sailing racing as much as I'd like to, but I sure love being out on the water under wind power.

This year's America's Cup next month in San Francisco is going to have new rules allowing hydrofoiling catamarans. These bad boys are going upwards of 44-45 knots!

The Louis Vuitton Cup has been demonstrating the technology and how different teams are adapting to it. This is I think one of the more recent videos from the semifinals, race 4:

It highlights some of the technology prior to the race, and shows these fun looking hydrofoiling sailboats (called Moths) in action:

Bummed I haven't gotten the sailboats out onto the water now for the past couple of summers
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Those boats are pretty incredible. Big fan. The money Larry Ellison (Oracle/BMW trimaran) has put into it is mind boggling. I remember when Dennis Connor sunk the boat in Long Beach. Someone basically forgot to put the plug in the bottom before launching it.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
Those boats are pretty incredible. Big fan. The money Larry Ellison (Oracle/BMW trimaran) has put into it is mind boggling. I remember when Dennis Connor sunk the boat in Long Beach. Someone basically forgot to put the plug in the bottom before launching it.
I've done that on my 14' catamaran

You learn to ballast the boat REAL fast and head straight for shore
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I've done that on my 14' catamaran
I haven't been on a cat in forever. They're so much fun.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

The boats are truly amazing engineering creations. I heard a story about the Americas Cup a while ago that commented on the rule that the winner gets to set the rules for the next race, (or some portion of the rules.) What that has done has opened up the design envelope to include some really innovative creations but has also driven up to cost of creating a boat to stupid high costs. It has effectively priced most countries out of even entering the race. I think the race could benefit from having different classes, some limited to a conventional 12m race sloop and some open classes where anything goes.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM

I think I'm going to be in the bay area for the last few days of it. I may have to go watch some of the races.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

I think you can theoretically go much faster that the wind is blowing in a sailboat as long as you're not running with the wind. Does anybody know ballpark how much faster you can go? I'm sure there are several variables that would affect your speed. Being a land lubber, I am just curious. Is this one of "yet to be determined things" that depend on the efficiency of the design of the boat...like these America's cup racers? 44-55 mph is FAST!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Rising Sun member

The fastest sailboat speed is about 68 knots, and I think the wind speed was about 25-30 knots at the time of that run. This is coming from an article in the latest mechanical engineering magazine highlighting the Sailrocket II. That has a pretty radical design though.

If I remember my basic sailing theory, a broad reach (90 degrees to the wind) provides the fastest speed, at least in a conventional sailboat without a spinnaker. The airfoil shape of the sail can magnify the effect of the wind beyond what the raw surface area of the sail and the wind speed alone can do. I don't know however if spinnaker equipped sailboats travel faster downwind or on a reach.

Last edited by subzali; 08-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun member

Louis Vuitton final race 2 starts in less than 15 minutes. They should have 2 races today if wind cooperates. Yesterday was pretty exciting. Italy had daggerboard/hydrofoil damage issues and New Zealand buried the bows when making a turn at over 40 knots, causing damage and throwing two crew overboard. IMO with all the engineering and technology pushing the limits this is a pretty exciting time for the sport of sailing
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun member

America's Cup started this past Saturday! Race 1 was amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5S6...cOObnqywOkRzYl