Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Tundra CrewMax?

About a week or so ago, I saw some photos of the Tundra CrewMax that Demello had taken to the FJ Summit. Then I looked up some Tundras on ExPo. Unfortunately, it got me thinking about possibilities I probably shouldn't be thinking about.

Anyway, how would a truck that size perform on trails around here? I never really see anything that big when I'm out. I'm not into crazy gnarly rock crawling type stuff. I generally stick to the green and blue trails in the FunTreks books. On occasion, I might do a red. Main goal is just exploring with my camera and/or the family.

I love my FJ but I'm thinking about the switch mostly for interior size. The girls very rarely want to go anywhere in the FJ because of the small back seat and windows. And, there's no way to get them and two 85 lb dogs into it. The girls are just going to keep growing and I honestly can't imagine three teenage girls in the back seat of an FJ. I might as well just shoot myself now.

Current thought is to find an '09 or '10 CrewMax. All I want is 4x4 and a sunroof as it would all change anyway. Wouldn't do anything crazy on the suspension, 3" lift and 35s or 37s (with a slight chop on the body mounts up front).

The FJ is almost paid for so I may just be totally insane on this whole idea of starting over. We do spend quite a bit of time downtown but I very rarely drive the FJ down. We were also thinking of moving down that way but we're holding off on that for awhile and it may not happen. Neither Bec nor I are very excited about doing that.

It's all just daydreaming at the moment but I thought I'd get a reality check from the collective.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

I personally love the Crewmax tundras.

I've talked to a number of folks who have them, and they all said roughly the same thing: they do just fine on dirt roads and mild trails, but they wouldn't take them up anything really rough.

To me, it comes down to what you are willing to do. I have a feeling the Tundra's are plenty capable of doing mild to moderate trails, but the question is, how much damage are you willing to risk in a 40-50k truck?

I have thought about one as a camping truck and hunting truck, with the ability to tow a crawler around for actual wheeling. Alas, like you, its a daydream, as I have no room for all that.

I hope you do get one, then I can live vicariously through you! LOL

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Lifted

Well, it depends a lot on driver. My brother has a rock warrior crew max, ome suspension and clears 34" toyo mts. He also has an arb w a 12000 lb winch. Its just a BIG truck. And I noticed slee has sliders as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Way too big for a trail truck, IMO. Yeah you could eventually get it through, but you'll be pin striping the sides and/or widening the trail in the process. Did those guys at the Summit take one down Black Bear? I couldn't imagine what that must have felt like if so... I guess it could be done, I dunno..

But I could see having one for most of your camping/expo uses, then have more of a dedicated wheeler for the tighter/more difficult trails? This is what you're talking about, right?

edit: Answered my own question... wow

Quote:
Fred and this is according to 8 Toyotas behind me I hung a front tire off in a couple switchbacks. Thank God my bed had so much weight in it so as to keep the rear planted. I also managed to pivot on my sliders at least once. Got home today and I have several new pin stripes to work with but luckily no real damage. Looking forward to next year.

from: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-crew-max.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tundra CrewMax or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Colorado Pinstripes

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Why let what you might do less than 1% of the time you have it limit you from getting what you want? The Crewmax is a beast. A buddy of mine just picked up a black one and made it into the Mcfly II mobile.

Are you at all tempted by the 200 series?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3955207351.html

"If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone."

"We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness."

Last edited by Jenny Cruiser; 08-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

They're big..... But nice! My buddy has one and he's super happy with it.
Attached Images

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Did those guys at the Summit take one down Black Bear? I couldn't imagine what that must have felt like if so... I guess it could be done, I dunno..
Demello didn't go down Black Bear. I think he stayed around Alpine Loop, Ophir and Imogene. Hell, I won't even do Black Bear in my FJ. No desire. This is the one he put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakman
But I could see having one for most of your camping/expo uses, then have more of a dedicated wheeler for the tighter/more difficult trails? This is what you're talking about, right?
Yes sort of. That's a little more bro brah flat biller on the side of things for me. If I were going to roll 20s or 22s, I'd have to start wearing some sport team's tank 3 sizes too big and my shorts down around my knees.

I'm thinking more along the lines of one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Colorado Pinstripes
Not worried about pin striping. That's all part of the fun. The FJ has plenty from the SoCal desert and up here.

I know they're big and girthy. I'd like to still be able to get around places like Kingston, Mosquito Pass, Argentine, Chihuahua Gulch, Loch Lomond, Bill Moore, etc. I've got to look up some measurements and see how much wider they are than an FJ. Then I need to drive one. I'm imagining it's going to be pretty close to the size of the Sequoia but with a bed.

Still just daydreams but I am intrigued. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've pondered the same thing as the family grows. Personally I'd have no iusse taking it down Black Bear. Just a few 5 point turns where my 80 does 3 pointers. There is a sweet Tundra rolling around Durango on 35's with some painted to match armor. That's what gets me thinking all the time. You could buy one new for the price of a 200 used. The break over is probably its crux.

I would of course need to have my 40 built as a dedicated trail truck though for the harder stuff.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Lifted

Get a 100 or 200 series. You and the kids will be forever happy you did. You will thank me later.