Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Die Hard Platinum's are 25% off right now for online/ship to store orders.

http://www.sears.com/automotive-batt...R&viewItems=25
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

The post on mud also had this code in it. If it works...

SEARS5OFF50
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

So my 12 year old Red Top Optima isn't coming back to life using the parallel battery charging trip. I left the radio on after doing some work and drained it really really good this time. I have had it charging for about 2 days and seeing if I can get it to revive once more, but I'm doubting it.

Am I a fool to buy another Optima? 12 years!!!!! they have earned at least a shot in my book. Probably going to run a yellow top this time, and perhaps install a dual system.

I know the Sears Die Hard Platnium is getting good reviews but is there any other deals out there right now?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
So my 12 year old Red Top Optima isn't coming back to life using the parallel battery charging trip. I left the radio on after doing some work and drained it really really good this time. I have had it charging for about 2 days and seeing if I can get it to revive once more, but I'm doubting it.

Am I a fool to buy another Optima? 12 years!!!!! they have earned at least a shot in my book. Probably going to run a yellow top this time, and perhaps install a dual system.

I know the Sears Die Hard Platnium is getting good reviews but is there any other deals out there right now?
I know some folks have had issues with Optima, but I am still a fan. I've been running the same yellow top for 7 years. I had it in my old FJ60 along with a red top. Now it's in my new FJ60 and still going strong.

This would be a good setup for your 40 if you wanted to run a red top and a yellow top in a dual battery setup. I saw your post that you were looking for a tray:

http://stainlesstrays.com/?cat=1&view=143

'85 FJ60
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Additional tray options: http://www.artecindustries.com/Batte...nts_c_134.html

Although its hard to beat those Stainless Trays if the configuration works for your needs. I had them in my 60 and wish he made an 80 series option.

I just got a set (27 & 31) of X2 Power batteries from Batteries Plus: http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...I27AGMDPM.aspx They make a group 27 which is nice if you want an OEM sized option for an 80. They are pretty much Odyssey clones like the Die Hard Platinum.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

I was debating that option when my Optima red top died after 3 1\2 years during the cold last month.Went out and bought their charger $200 bucks. tried to revive it did'nt work. 4 Wheel parts would only pro rate it. another $116.00 hopefully this one will last a lot longer. I am actually running the original panasonic battery in that came in the truck. It had been sitting in the garage for 3 1\2 years, put it on charger and has been fine since then.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCDan View Post
I was debating that option when my Optima red top died after 3 1\2 years during the cold last month.Went out and bought their charger $200 bucks. tried to revive it did'nt work. 4 Wheel parts would only pro rate it. another $116.00 hopefully this one will last a lot longer. I am actually running the original panasonic battery in that came in the truck. It had been sitting in the garage for 3 1\2 years, put it on charger and has been fine since then.
I learned a trick from Uncle Ben that you should hook your red top up to another know good battery and charge them together. This has brought mine back from the dead twice when a regular charge did nothing.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

You should be using a smart charger for any AGM battery. The old fashioned chargers will cook an AGM. I know, I have done it.

I went this direction as a fairly in-expensive option: http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12248

Works for Flooded/GEL/AGM with multiple amperage options as well as trickle charge. I've been happy with it so far. There was a pretty good write up on it in 4x4 Toyota owner a while back that influenced my buying decision.

But I'm done with Optima personally. Just based on location of assembly. I try to buy USA products when ever possible, well except for my actual truck. For the record my US made Optima was a great battery.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

I purchased the optima 1200 smart battery charger left it on for 2 days. was dead again 2 days later. $316.00 later I have new charger, and battery with 3 year replacement waranty.
So we will see what happens.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bought another Red Top... let the game begin.