Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Default Barbour Fork

Man...... what a summer this has been! I have been getting out at LEAST twice a week. I have run so many new trails and explored so many new areas. This week I camped at Timber Creek and fished the Colorado River in the Kawuneechie Valley. We ran a portion of the Kawuneechie Trail, but were too antsy to fish, so we didn't complete the whole thing. Saw 3 moose while fishing....

Then, I came home the next day and picked Keagan up from school so we could go run Barbour Fork. We were joined by Keagan's soccer coach and his son in their Rubicon. We didn't hit the trail until 5pm. We aired down and started up under perfect weather. I was really surprised at how difficult the trail was this year. Maybe all the recent rains have dug everything out and made the hills loose? It took us a full 3 hours to complete the loop with a few stops for pictures.

I've always considered this a great test for a stock-semi stock vehicle. I think it's past that point now. I was glad to have MT's, locker, sliders and bumpers. I wouldn't say it's super hard, but climbing some of the steep hills on the far side with all the loose stuff, deep ruts and TIGHT quarters made it FUN FUN FUN........ but not something I'd want to take a stock 100 on. I touched sliders and my bumper coming down the back side, the Rubicon lost a valve stem to a tight spot in the rocks. Your wheels will definitely take a beating. Pin striping is unavoidable and my roof rack took some good hits too.

Get out and try this one for a close, fun and tight trail. It's a good one right now! The big hill at the start is dug out pretty good and fun. The climbs up through the trees will require your attention to avoid sliding into a tree or rock. We ended the night with Beau Jo's pizza which has one of the best Gluten Free pizzas I've ever had!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Starting out.....

Start of the big hill

Big hill....photo op

Meadow

TLCA Social Media
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

I love the 3rd pic. Our poor 100's have so little articulation it looks like it could be a mall shot photoshoped onto a trail pic.

Oh and I'm getting seriously jealous of your summer adventures!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
I love the 3rd pic. Our poor 100's have so little articulation it looks like it could be a mall shot photoshoped onto a trail pic.

Oh and I'm getting seriously jealous of your summer adventures!
Ha! Andy...... There is no flex whatsoever.....it was like driving straight up a ramp. The weight just never shifts..... You and Sally need to come down and run with us!

Before it really tipped up...you can see how deep the hole gets that my RR tire needed to get to, by the time I got there it was pretty close to tipping over!
Attached Images

TLCA Social Media
Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

you da man Stan!!!