Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Wincher

Default Dana 44 Aussie locker install

If i could get some expert help with this I would appreciate it.

I have a dana 44 rear axle swap on my 88 4runner done by the previous owner. from what research ive done i believe it is off of a 92ish chevy blazer. The previous owner welded the spider gears as well.

I was driving the other day and heard an awful noise coming from my diff so last weekend i popped the cover and discovered my pinion gear is almost completely stipped and has a huge chunk of teeth missing. So over the next week/weekend im going to attempt to replace the ring and pinion gear and install an actual locker. http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-14430.html and yukon gears http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ets-p-400.html

1. Will I need to pick up a new diff housing as well because the spider gear were welded?
2. Can I use the old shims in place to avoid alot of backlash troubleshooting?
3. ANY ADVICE ON ANY PART OF THIS WOULD BE GREAT THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ATTEMPTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

THANKS EVERYONE

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Wincher

Default rebuild

Also anyother parts i should replace while doing this?

so far im going to replace
-pinion bearing
-pinion seals
-axle seals
-dif bearings

Does anyone know a good place to find everything i need in a kit?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

If you are using a Detroit type locker it will replace the stock ring gear carrier anyways. Usually once the spiders are welded it's almost impossible to get them out without damaging the carrier. Since you are also replacing the ring gear, pinion and all of the bearings, there is very little of the original rear end you are reusing other than the housing and axles.

If you reuse the stock shims without taking the proper measurements, chances are pretty good you will end up with a bad setup that will for sure make noise and could wear prematurely.

Rent or borrow the tools to allow you to set the pinion depth and preload correctly. Setting the ring gear backlash can be done with a Harbor Freight dial indicator and torque wrench.

You're spending enough on the parts that you are better off paying someone who has the tools and knowledge to set it up right if you don't have the tools. But if you have the tools and can follow the step by step instructions that come with the new gears, you can certainly do it.

Depending on how many miles the rear end has on it, you may also want to replace the bearings on the axles and the seals at the end of the axle tubes.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Since you are using an Aussie locker, you will need a carrier to put it in. If your existing carrier was an open diff (versus a posi or locking diff) then it will work if you can get the welded spiders out of it. Don't assume it was an open diff because it was welded, the old clutch type posi units stop working after a while and people weld them up too.

If you have to get a replacement carrier, make sure it is an open unit.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

from what research ive done i believe it is off of a 92ish chevy blazer

That would be a 10 bolt corporate rear end, whether it was an S-10 or a full size Chevy Blazer. If it's truly a D44 rear axle, it could be from a IH Scout. If I were doing this, I'd consider putting an OEM axle back under the rear end, unless there was a particular reason (width?) that this corporate axle was used.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Wincher

thanks for the advice I pulled the carrier today and it looks like the gears were welded to the carrier as well. I think I am going to go with a detroit locker because like you said it bolts right up to the ring gear. From what i hear they are more durable than aussies as well. Finding parts for this thing is becoming a real hassle because I dont know what exactly the rear end came out of. I spent a good half hour at autozone today trying to get the parts I needed and was unsuccessful I dont think i will be going back there.