Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

It's a hole that formed along a seam in the bed where the floor and the wheel well meet. This is a support channel underneath where it looks like gunk collected and the rust just found a void or scratch or something and I suppose has been just munching for a while.

I was packing the truck for the weekend and noticed a bubble that seems sorta soft, so took a chance fearing the worst and cut into it. Pulled out what I could and painted the whole thing with rust converting prep and covered it with duct tape. I tapped the rest of the floor and didn't feel anything else, but will start peeling off the bed liner.

Or maybe just buy a new bed from Toyota...

I'll have to investigate more but my first thought is based on how easy it was to peel off what I did that dry ice and trying to take it off in chunks would be most successful. Seems heat and chemicals that soften will just result in a mess.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-31-2014, 06:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Still looking at Tacomas since selling that 2001.

Apparently this is still an issue. What the heck, Toyota? They worry about Pandora radio and key fobs but their truck frames are rotting. Apparently Dana didn't clean stamping press lube from the frames before coating them, which rendered them essentially unprotected.

There is a limited service campaign, SC-E0D, under which 2nd gen Tacomas in several states are getting replacement frames.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...y-get-free-fix
Quote:
States included in letter.

CT. DE. IL. IN. KY. MA. MD. ME. MI. MN. NH. NJ. NY. OH. PA. RI. VA. VT. WI. WV.

Letter reads

Toyota has received reports that certain 2005 through 2009 model year Tacoma vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicles frame. Toyota investigated these reports and determined that the frames in some vehicles may not have corrosion-resistant protection sufficient for use in these areas.

This combined with prolonged exposure to road salts and other environmental factors, may contribute to the development of more-than-normal rust in the frame of some vehicles. This condition is unrelated to and seperate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

i have bought 2 toyota that toyota would deem dead.. and i have even replaced an entier frame on a tacoma when working at the dealer..
i dont mind the rust as i can fix it.. its really easy. as the bad structural rust in isolated to the gap between the bed and cab. at the spring hanger location..

i say this next part like its no big deal. because to me its not and i can do it all in 1 day.

remove the bed, drop the gas tank, grind down the scale and flake.
cut out the bad sesction with a cut off wheel (typically the size of a football)
clean out the inside of the frame of all deprix por15 as much as you like and plate the frame with a 1/8" steel at liest 2" larger than your hole. treat the side and bottom as seprate repairs. it trully isnt a bad fix..

the spare tire carrier also gets it real bad.. i just cut it down and remove it compleatlly as we dont run stock size tires anyways.. and i plate that part of the frame as well for strength and add a tube to mount the shocks..
done in 1 day if you bust ass.

my newest taco has it the worst
it has it in the typical rear locations but also has it in the front by the firewall.. i have never seen it in the front before.. but it trully isnt nothing to be scared about or loose sleep on. because the fix is way stronger than the orgional.. i had holes (solid hole you can put your fist threw) about 10-14" long and 4-5" tall on the inside (both sides). and 2x8" on the bottom.. i even had to replace the spring hanger on one truck
but thats what converting to chevy 63" are for