Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Tire Advice...

New to wheeling in CO. Just purchased a 94 FZJ80. Need some legit tires for our rocky terrain. I have a 2-3 lift. Currently running 285/75/16. I would like to stay with that size... I think I have plenty of clearance for the type of cruisin I will be doing so I do not really want to go to 35". Cant justify paying $300+ for Toyos. I have heard mixed opinions on the BFG KM2s... Debating the Goodyear DuraTrac ($223 each) or MT/R Kevlar ($270 each). I'm worried about sidewall strength. Is the kevlar worth it? Any other tires with longstanding success that I should be considering. I just want a strong, reliable all around "aggressive" off-road tire. This will not be my daily driver. However, I will be driving it on road occasionally for fun and of course on the road to and from trails near and far. I appreciate your advice!

Last edited by TheDoc; 09-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
New to wheeling in CO. Just purchased a 94 FJZ80. Need some legit tires for our rocky terrain. I have a 2-3 lift. Currently running 285/75/16. I would like to stay with that size... I think I have plenty of clearance for the type of cruisin I will be doing so I do not really want to go to 35". Cant justify paying $300+ for Toyos. I have heard mixed opinions on the BFG KM2s... Debating the Goodyear DuraTrac ($223 each) or MT/R Kevlar ($270 each). I'm worried about sidewall strength. Is the kevlar worth it? Any other tires with longstanding success that I should be considering. I just want a strong, reliable all around "aggressive" off-road tire. This will not be my daily driver. However, I will be driving it on road occasionally for fun and of course on the road to and from trails near and far. I appreciate your advice!
DuraTracs probably the best and most widely used for both everyday Colorado driving and your weekend trips off the pavement. KM2s are tried and true, but I think the DuraTracs do better in the snow and actually grip better off road. The MT/Rs don't balance well, not a lot of great feedback on those.

I am running Maxxis BigHorns, and have to admit they are not the best for snow but I love the look and off road capability. So I drive more careful int he snow and talk louder on the cell phone, lol.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks Chris! Those are nice looking tires. When you need your next set are you sticking with the Bighorns?

You find some wheels for your trailer? I hope my post on your WTB thread is not viewed as thread jacking. I'm new to the forum stuff so if I violated any etiquette on that one I'll delete my post. If you get bombarded with offers for 16" 80 series wheels and you get what you need, let them know you know someone looking for wheels.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Club Treasurer

Hey Matt! I have run BFG KM and Cooper STT tires on my 80 recently. Prior to that I ran Interco Trxus Muds. The Interco tires do everything extremely well except for tread wear. They are pretty much done at around 30K. The KMs do great off road, but they have to be siped to work on the road in the winter. And they have terrible lateral traction for snow wheeling. I really like the Coopers I have on now, although I haven't driven them in the snow yet.

I have the Duratracs on one of my 4Runners and they are great. They have taken everything I've thrown at them, but I haven't run them in the snow yet either. I haven't read a bad review on either the Duratracs or STTs as far as winter driving, so I would think either of these would be great. The MTRs are just too damn pricey for me.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm a huge of fan of Nitto's Trail Grapplers. They handle pavement (wet or dry) well albeit with a bit of a hum and they are fantastic in the dirt. I've done a 5 tire rotation with them every 5k and I'm close to 40k on them. There's probably another 10-15k left in them. No issues with them in the snow.

Something slightly less aggressive, but just as capable, are the Terra Grapplers. A little better manners on pavement but definitely no slouch in the dirt. I'll be throwing a set on my wife's Sequoia in the next month or so.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. I have a set studded for winter use.

I have been happy with my Generals (red labels) but I don't run them in the winter. They are sticky on the rocks and quiet on the HWY for what they are. Sidewalls are very stout. Weak points would be tread wear & winter.

Previously I had the Nitto TG's which were good year round. I'd buy those again for a year round application. Plus they are available in a 295 which gives you just a little more without the drawbacks to 315's.

I had BFG AT's on my 60 and hated them.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've always been a fan of mud tires, running KM2s on the 40 now, but on road ice/snow, no bueno! Then, I found out about siping and I'm a huge fan. Solved my on road issues, even helps with rain driving. It really helps those things grab that Moab slick rock too!
I bought some Cooper Discoverer AT's for my latest project but they are brand new and I've never driven them before. If they don't give me what I need, I won't hesitate to have those suckers siped too! I've been told it reduces mileage but its not a daily driver so that's not a concern for me.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I 2nd the Nitto terragrapplers, I've had them on my 60 for a year now and have no complaints. they are a 50,000 mile tire that has great all terrain and road condition traction.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Don't forget to search the old tire threads. This has been discussed extensively. (PS. very happy with my duratracs)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have the Cooper STT tires on my 80 and they've been great.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.