Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Camp power from Aux battery

I am wondering what I need to do to be able to use my aux battery as a source for camp lights, while camping? No POs being cut at this time for a Honda/Yamaha generator, so need a back up solution.

Is there something relatively low cost that I could connect directly to my aux battery and then plug into?

The way I have my aux battery set up might be a bit unique, as all my stuff is still wired to my main and the Aux is set up to charge off the alternator but sits un-used an ready to be a resource should my main be drained.

Any and all advice welcome..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

What are you looking to power up?

You've seen my truck, I have a 1000w Tripp-Lite inverter which rarely gets used. what it's done is power the camper (with small microwave), charge cameras, and charge laptops. I've also run angle grinders, drills, skil saws, and 120v lights off it. Some days I wish I'd have gotten the 1500w one as I could run a Keurig, but then again other days I'm glad I'm outside with a stove heating water.. seems to be meeting my needs. I had one in the 80 too, and couldn't kill it.

Edit: this is what I have, Marco turned me onto these. they work awesome.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRIPP-LI...item46108df127

here's the 1800w- would run just about everything in your kitchen or bathroom http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRIPP-LI...item46108dc479

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

My accessories are wired to my Aux battery including always on power outlets and the fridge. This was If I stay in one place for a while I don't need to worry about running down the primary. Won't that work for you?
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

What kind of lights are you plugging in? What kind of physical plug do they have?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

^ What Kurt said.

But there are tons of simple 12v lights if that is all you want. The new National Luna ones are pretty sweet on a higher end level.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
My accessories are wired to my Aux battery including always on power outlets and the fridge. This was If I stay in one place for a while I don't need to worry about running down the primary. Won't that work for you?
I did a basic dual battery set up. And honestly, I am a novice beyond installing a ceiling fan in the house when it comes to wiring. For convenience, I left everything connected to my starting battery and connected a one way silenoid to my back up battery. So it get's a charge but nothing is pulling on it.

I figured I could use it to jump start the main battery with jumper cables and that met my minimum needs.

Now I am thinking it would be nice to bring LED light string with tiki lights for camping and I am trying to figure out what I need. I like Tim's suggestion, but was hoping for a lower cost. writing this I just realized I have an old 2 plug cigerette adapter somewhere....

I could probably just use that for now!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

So I have a fuse box wired to my Aux battery. Off of it I run my fridge, HAM, CB, and multiple power outlets. Most of this stuff will run well below what it takes to start a truck. You can pick thes up for $15 or the one I got at western marine is a Blue Sea box. Each output them is seperatly fused. I run the wores out through the grommets in the engine bay

If you have stuff to your main battery, all you would need to do is route them over to the box as well
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

If you're just running LED Tiki lights off of 110v, you can use a cheapo converter. I have a couple that I picked up on Woot for $15-25 each. The one that Nakman posted will probably run a blow dryer.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
..The one that Nakman posted will probably run a blow dryer.
Yeah it will, with the truck running.

If you're expanding into 12v then you should set up a separate fuse block like Romer describes, so you can leave behind the cigarette adapters. I'm sure we can suggest wire gauge and fuses to make it safe if needed... I have mine right below the passenger seat, accessed from outside the truck. The lead comes through the grommet in the firewall and under the plastic door sill, I drilled a hole under the seat and ran the ground through it to the frame. Now I have almost unlimited terminals for new stuff, and never have to mess with the firewall grommet again... in fact don't even need to open the hood to add stuff. Mine currently runs my fridge, second 12v plug, rear seat heaters, brake controller, and reverse light.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM

i use a 750w/1500w max inverter from harbor freight tools, alligator clamps straight to battery of my camper and run a extension cord to what ever, mainly charging i-pod