Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Relocating to Colorado

Hello all, my name is Mike and I plan on relocating to Colorado as the title says. I've been living in NC most of my life, regularly traveling throughout the country, and have decided that enough is enough and it's time to take a leap of faith and move to the state I most love. I'll be arriving in December. For the past decade I've wanted to make this move and finally the time is right, although I have no job lined up and just a handfull of couches to surf for a while.
Currently I'm a member of TLCA, Olde North State Cruisers, and BRC. In recent years LandCruisers have become my addiction consuming most of my free time and all my money but I love it and wouldn't change a thing. I was in attendance at Cruise Moab 2012, mostly hanging out with the Gotham City crowd, and had the time of my life. Many thanks for putting on such a great event and I hope I will be able to join your ranks soon, and help put on such events of course.
I look forward to chatting with and eventually meeting some of you. And I'd greatly appreciate any leads on employment, as well as suggested locations on where to reside. I'm not much of a city person and prefer smaller towns with space to breath. My background is mostly in landscape management but I have a strong mechanical ability and I learn most trades very quickly. The past two years I've been managing the restoration of a 1920's horse farm. I'm open to anything that pays right now so I can keep my feet on the ground until I find a more permanent situation.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Looking forward to having you here!

Slee Offroad was just looking for someone. They're located in Golden.... Which is kinda small town, but not like East Coast small town.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome.

If you like small town life there are many on the west side of the Continental divide. Downside is that most come with a high cost of living due to the ski industry. If you pick one far enough away the ski resorts then its manageable for most. However the housing prices are much higher than what you are probably used to in NC. Just a warning.

Post up any specific city/towns your looking at. Someone here is bound to have lived there at one time.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I hear wray is nice.. lol
TLCA#4180
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

My list of locations is pretty broad. Durango is my first choice but I understand it's very expensive and jobs are limited. I have friends living in Telluride, Aspen, and Colorado Springs who are willing to give me shelter and are currently updating me on jobs in those areas. I also looked into Salidas and Buena Vista but I don't know anyone living there currently. Twice now I've been told about Golden so I'm gonna take a closer look into that. Mainly I want access to the mountains and backcountry wheeling. Ideally I'd want to live a reasonable distance to Utah. What I'd really like to do is set up sort of a base camp in a town with a decent job and explore the state for about a year till I find my permanent destination. I'm traveling light and selling everything I own that doesn't fit in my cruiser. If anyone has info on job leads you can contact me by email at mangstreich81@gmail.com I don't want to clutter up this thread with a full on job search.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt88 View Post
The past two years I've been managing the restoration of a 1920's horse farm.
that sounds like a hoot of a gig. tons of work i'm sure but, to bring something like that back to life? awesome.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Jobs

I don't know if you have looked at Crested Butte/Gunnison area, however here is a link to jobs in CB in the Crested Butte News.

http://www.crestedbuttenews.com/inde...=showads&id=11

Also look at the Gunnison Shopper here:

http://www.gunnisonshopper.com/class...o?c=employment

It would be cheaper to live in Gunnison. This is some great country and fine people. Good luck. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Durango is way cheaper than Telluride or Aspen but still not cheap. Really not bad in the overall picture of CO though. The job market is pretty competitive but that will be the case in any "lifestyle" town in high demand.

You might look at Montrose or Grand Junction if your not a skier.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Durango is way cheaper than Telluride or Aspen but still not cheap. Really not bad in the overall picture of CO though. The job market is pretty competitive but that will be the case in any "lifestyle" town in high demand.

You might look at Montrose or Grand Junction if your not a skier.
Yeah..... you might want to check the cost of living in Aspen or Telluride before you look for work there.. Avg housing/rental prices in Aspen are $1300+ per month for a studio with no garage. Average home prices are just under $1,000,000.

Average rental in Telluride is $1507 in 2011. Home prices are on par with Aspen at $968,000.

IMO Telluride is 10 million times better, but hard to find suitable work to pay for the lifestyle you mentioned. And, Telluride is pretty isolated from the rest of the state. I'm not a fan of Aspen at all. You'll need to make some nice bank if you want to accomplish the goals you stated above. It's no fun working 7 days a week to pay for your place to live. That leaves no extra coin for traveling, gas, food or even the ability to take time off.

I like Corbets advice of Grand Junction or Montrose, but they are VERY different from North Carolina and you'd be wise to spend some time there before committing.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW