Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Drew 2nd season Rifle Elk (F) for unit 66, down by Lake City. Will be my first hunt and I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Scouting continued. Retrieved the memory card from my camera this evening. Got between a couple of bulls grunting and had a nice cow come out and turn broadside for me. Just need to repeat that in a few weeks.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Got lucky this year and took a 6 point bull 5 minutes into the season in Unit 46.

Got him fully butchered, and have 150-160 lbs of cuts and burger, plus another 30-40 lbs of dog food. Biggest one we've ever gotten, and I'm very pleased.

Took some scope rash as I used a tree and I leaned in too close to get around a branch.

It turns out I am also TERRIBLE at range finding. Thankfully my 30-06 is very flat shooting. I took the shot assuming it was around 100 yards, give or take. My dad told me it was around 350. No wonder I was always so baffled by people taking 350 yard shots! To me, 350 yards was actually closer to 1000 yards, LOL!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Congrats Isaac! That's a nice one!
KDGWM
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Congrats on the bull. I'm almost packed up to head out tomorrow at O-dark-hundred
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Damn, nice work dude!

Half my week just got sucked into a work trip... Left home today with the tag on the kitchen counter and the rifle back in the safe. On the west coast hoping I was doing what Corbet is doing now instead. Grr..
82 FJ40
Old 10-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Damn, nice work dude!

Half my week just got sucked into a work trip... Left home today with the tag on the kitchen counter and the rifle back in the safe. On the west coast hoping I was doing what Corbet is doing now instead. Grr..
I can empathize, Marco. I have second rifle for mule deer and Kim got called away for a business trip too, so I'm on kid duty all week instead.

I still have third rifle for Elk though, so hoping to have some luck come November.

Good luck Corbet!
KDGWM
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Way to go Isaac! That's a nice one.

None of us 3 got elk this year. We had a bit of a snow run getting to the trail-head. Hiked in a half mile and set up our first camp. Tracks were everywhere and it looked promising. The first storm finished but we couldnt get lucky enough to bump into any bulls the first 2 days. Then the second storm came in hard for the next several days and dropped another 1-2 feet of snow. All the elk moved out of the area and down. We hunted thru the last day but saw no more fresh elk tracks the rest of the hunt. I made a decision during the beginning of the second storm to stick it out and not break our 2 camps, pack out to the Runner and leave. I figured we had 4-5 days left for things to melt out a little. It was depressing thinking we may have to leave the runner stuck and pack out 5-7 miles from the trailhead. We had a large valley to exit with no winch points that I was concerned about getting through.

All those years of snow run experience paid off. I was able to push into the snow hard. Then slam it into reverse quickly before sinking and getting stuck. Then repeat many times until I got to a slight downhill. I then kept the rpms and speed up high enough to get us across the valley toward the trees. At which point I could winch and carry on. Then it was a heck of a fun snow run for the next 5 miles to get out. My new Cooper SST tires were pretty key to all of this. They were digging machines. I was pretty jazzed we made it out.

We will go for muzzleloading next year. We are getting tired of intense winter camping\mountaineering\were not going to make it out stress while hunting.

The first picture is on day one. I was able to winch on the last picture (day 7) and the snow wasn't quite as deep in the trees.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Today I just needed a bit of luck. I ran into elk 5 times during the day. Most of the time they saw me first The other time I got an animal in my shooting lane but it turned out to be a spike. Then he busted me. So the herd turned 180 and went over the ridge.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ah dang, that was how 4th rifle went for me last year. I saw lots of elk....running away from me.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead