Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Lifted

I've got MT/R Kevlars on my 40, and Duratracs on my 100. I am thoroughly impressed with both tires. If you're going to stay with a 285/75r16, I'd go with the Duratracs. Mine are load range E (10 ply), while my MT/R-K's are load range D (8 ply). I've sufficiently stabbed both sidewalls, and have some good road miles on both sets. Either is a good choice, but I would try the Duratracs first.

Duratracs at Radical Hill

MT/R-K posing

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Thanks Chris! Those are nice looking tires. When you need your next set are you sticking with the Bighorns?

You find some wheels for your trailer? I hope my post on your WTB thread is not viewed as thread jacking. I'm new to the forum stuff so if I violated any etiquette on that one I'll delete my post. If you get bombarded with offers for 16" 80 series wheels and you get what you need, let them know you know someone looking for wheels.

Thanks!
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Rising Sun forum, also! No worries on posting here, we are a bit more laid back than some other sites.

I am good on wheels, we were able to find a hub adapter to go from 5 on 5 to 5 on 150mm, so able to use 2 100 series wheels to match my LC. Thanks Tim for breaking up your set!!

Also, I am actually sticking with the Bighorns again. Since I need 2 trailer wheels and I want them to match, so I only carry one spare, I am buying 3 new Bighorns and with new spare will have 4 new tires.

Kind of thinking of having the inner tread siped. I think that makes them wear a bit faster but might make a real difference in the snow.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I ran 33 x 10.5 BFG M/Ts and M/T KMs on all my Land Cruisers for years and years, and they were fine as long as you siped them. No siping and you will have major scary issues in ice, snow and even wet pavement. I tore a sidewall pretty bad on Hackett Rock some years ago, but other than that they were good tires as long as they were siped.

When they came out with the KM2s and I needed new tires for my 60 I started looking around and a lot of people were saying good things about the Duratracs. I put a set of 285/75R16s on and couldn't be more pleased. They do great in snow, ice and wet pavement, stick like crazy glue on the rocks, go fine in mud and are surprisingly quiet on the highway for how aggressive the tread is.

When I first got them I was unsure about the sidewall, they really seem to bulge more than I am used to, and at first I was a bit afraid to air them down much. I have had them on for over a year and a half and have learned that they aren't "thin" just flexy, and that's a good thing. Better traction and fuel economy. But they aren't thin or weak compared to other tires that don't bulge as much, it's all in their high-tech rubber compound. I air down to 17 PSI now and have wheeled the snot out of them, never had any issues with sidewalls. In fact, my rims haven't even gotten as dinged up as the rims have when I ran the BFGs.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. I have a set studded for winter use.

I have been happy with my Generals (red labels) but I don't run them in the winter. They are sticky on the rocks and quiet on the HWY for what they are. Sidewalls are very stout. Weak points would be tread wear & winter.

Previously I had the Nitto TG's which were good year round. I'd buy those again for a year round application. Plus they are available in a 295 which gives you just a little more without the drawbacks to 315's.

I had BFG AT's on my 60 and hated them.

What size are you running? I had always thought that they were all thin, 2ply stuff, but then someone on Expo showed a set of em in the 285 range and they were 3 ply. Someone said below that size they were only 2. No idea if any of that is true. Just curious.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
When I first got them I was unsure about the sidewall, they really seem to bulge more than I am used to, and at first I was a bit afraid to air them down much. I have had them on for over a year and a half and have learned that they aren't "thin" just flexy, and that's a good thing. Better traction and fuel economy. But they aren't thin or weak compared to other tires that don't bulge as much, it's all in their high-tech rubber compound. I air down to 17 PSI now and have wheeled the snot out of them, never had any issues with sidewalls. In fact, my rims haven't even gotten as dinged up as the rims have when I ran the BFGs.
After the Ouray trip and major rocks on Tincup Pass I can't even hardly see a scuff mark on my Duratrac sidewalls. Only sidewall I ever cut was to a nearly new Nitto TG on Chicken Corners.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Rock Stacker

I am really appreciating all the comments. My tire purchase will likely exceed $1200... especially if I buy a matching spare. So, this is an important decision.

Seems like the following are all respected tires:
Duratracs
General "Red Label"Grabbers
Nitto "TG" -- I assume we are talking Trail Grappler M/T not Terra Grappler AT
Cooper STT

Guess I'll just have to get one of each

Decisions, decisions... Just need a new set by 10/19 for the spooky run.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
What size are you running? I had always thought that they were all thin, 2ply stuff, but then someone on Expo showed a set of em in the 285 range and they were 3 ply. Someone said below that size they were only 2. No idea if any of that is true. Just curious.
Mine are 315's. They are "E" rated. I can't speak for other sizes personally. Mine felt extremely thin when I got them. (ordered from Summit Racing). When I had them mounted the tire tech even committed they seemed super thin in the sidewall for what they are. Later I spoke with a local GoodYear dealer down here. They had quit selling them to the oil & gas guys as they had so many sidewall failures locally. Personally all this does not matter to me. Mine only see the HWY for the most part as they have studs for winter use.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Nitto "TG" -- I assume we are talking Trail Grappler M/T not Terra Grappler AT
I was talking about the Terra Grappler and I believe most others are too. The Trail Grappler is much newer in the line and not many in the club have run them yet to my knowledge. The folks I know with them like the tire though.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Lifted

I traded a guy for my old set of 315 KM2s for a set of 285 coopers. I couldn't be happier. I have wheeled the coopers 3 times now and they have worked great. They ride great and are very quiet. The km2s did not.