Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

living on the west side of Denver/Lakewood is pretty affordable and close to the mountains, not sure how prices in Golden are which is close by, but like mentioned before you could work at Slee http://forum.ih8mud.com/employment-f...ml#post8762101
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
I contacted Slee to see if they were still looking. My intentions are not to live permanently in any of the major ski destinations. However, a friends free couch for a month in the middle of the season might be fun. In the past weekend I've been browsing Golden, Montrose, and Grand Junction in addition to the other locations I previously mentioned. Found a few interesting jobs to throw a resume at and see what happens. I remember visiting Crested Butte years ago and talking with the locals. Said they love it and it's very much worth working two jobs to live there haha. I'm gonna take a look at Gunnison next. It totally skipped my mind.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Old Northe State....were you in Raleigh? I helped start that club back when I was living in Winston-Salem. Unless you are living in Chapel Hill or Carey, moving out here is going to be a rude awakening to your bank account. I did it back in 09 and I'm still reeling a bit from it. Darn near doubled my mortgage for less house in a similar neighborhood, though much larger city.
Worst part is that BEER costs more out here too! Haha...at least its better and with a larger selection.

I agree with what others have said about Golden. It's probably worth a look. It's kind of a nice inbetween town that will allow you to find work in Denver or Boulder, and you can live just outside Golden and maybe knock rent down a little more.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

OilHammer, I'm an ONSC member from Southern Pines, bout an hour south of Raleigh. The club you helped start is going strong and when I move I'm gonna miss the hell out of the friends I've made in the club. We're a pretty tight bunch and always help each other out when needed.
I'm fully prepared for the cost increase of Colorado, especially from where I live, but I figure it'll be pretty relative. As long as I work a decent paying job I'll be fine. Slee told me my move was a little too far off to consider right now. I'm applying for a job with the city of Golden later this week with the parks department. Bet they need some snow shoveled in the winter haha.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree there, bunch of good guys that I miss hanging out with. Oh man, some serious BBQ and fishing guys out there. Great group out here too though. You should move close enough to Denver to be able to attend Rising Sun events, especially trips out to Moab.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Browsing job listings it looks like I'll be near Denver or Co Springs initially. I'll keep an update. I also plan on bugging you guys a lot to participate in your events and club functions, especially Cruise Moab. In 2012 I was the ill prepared sprung under fj62 wagon that winched through most of Pritchet Canyon. That event taught me a few things and now the truck is sprung over with a wheelbase stretched 5 inches riding on 39.5's and beadlocks. I plan on bringing it with me.
This weekend is actually the biggest annual event for our club and we roast a whole pig. Ramon and Brian are great cooks. The event is in honor of our fallen member Logan Monk.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've been keeping track of all the goings on about the recent flooding around the Boulder area and my thoughts go out to anyone affected. Although I'll be relocating in the winter time and most efforts to clean-up and rebuild will be put off till later in the spring I want to extend an offer of my assistance to anyone that may need help after I relocate. I have a strong background in landscape construction, earthwork, and grading. Also I have some experience with carpentry and general home repairs.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Wincher

Good luck on your move and just enjoy your time in Colorado!

www.adventuretoolcompany.com

TLCA#22379

"Like" us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventureToolCompany
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oh I most certainly will enjoy Colorado and I can't wait to join in on some trail rides. I want to spend most of my free time covering territory all over the state and those nearby. My cruiser addiction runs deep.
But, as long as I am able, I will always lend a hand to help others. It's good karma.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

In less than a month I will be arriving in the Denver area, probably staying in Golden, and I hope to attend the Dec 4 meeting and formally introduce myself. That's if my cross country drive doesn't hit a detour but who knows. In any case I'll be reaching out to whoever wants to meet up for beers or food and talk cruisers.
In any case I figured now is a good time to introduce my 88 fj62, Burt. Over the past couple weeks she's been receiving some upgrades and I finally have her back together..... again.

Some quick specs; SOA with add-a-leaves, custom shackle reversal, stretched wheelbase 5" over stock, 39.5" iroks, TR Beadlocks, chromoly axle shafts and longfield birfs, 6- shooter knuckles, ARB front locker, Lock-right rear locker, 5.29 nitro gear, saginaw steering pump, home fab twin steering stabilizers, marlin long spline front shaft, TSM transfer case mounted e-brake, rear disk brake conversion, tranny fluid cooler, IPF lights, modified Tacoma ARB bumper, custom rear bumper/tire carrier and rocker guards, lots of custom wheel well trimming. I'm sure I'm missing a few things. She's ready for Colorado and Moab though. I snuck into a couple pics.
Attached Images