Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Wincher

I just went thru the process of smogging my 76 with a SBC engine. I am not grandfathered in on the classic tags so I will have to get inspections every year.

I had to remove my headers and put on rams horn manifolds with the air rail holes. Put on air rails and air pump. No EGR and No catalyst. It was not the original engine in the vehicle but the couple stickers on the hood and door jamb saying non-catalyst was enough for the Air Care folks not to care. The stickers do say EGR but they didn't seem concerned with that piece of equipment being on.

In short if you have the air pump you should be good. I wouldn't worry about the EGR. If your vehicle is new enough that the engine should have a catalytic converter I think they are going to want to see one.

I passed on the first try. The standards for the sniff test is not hard to get to. You could easily do it with a properly tuned engine and/or leaned out carburetor. The visual inspection is the hard part. IMO.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
Wait, does this mean I can now register my '77 as a collector vehicle and only have to test it every 5 years instead of every year now? If so I may be in the minority that actually LIKES these changes!
Look at section 42-12-101(2)(c)(I), the way I interpret that is if the vehicle is 32 years old you are eligible for collectors plates, and per 42.4.304(3)(b)(ii) and 42.4.310 if the vehicle is 76 or newer and registered as a collector the emissions are required every 5 years.

So, the good news, if your vehicle is 32 years old you are now eligible where as under the 2009 law you were not.

The bad news, if you have a 76+ and were grandfathered into the old law you are now required to pass emissions every 5 years.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Lifted

That's kind of what I was reading... I guess it might be worth a phone call before I go in next time!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Anyone want to buy a 1978 FJ40? You forgot to mention the mandated 15-20% ethanol that makes all of the old iron less efficient. This was planned all along, it wasn't a surprise to the folks that make up these laws.

I have eleven (11) 5 year collector's plates that are due in October. NONE of that revenue is going to Colorado this year (if this BS is true).
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

I no longer get collectors plates, in that you lay out (say) ~$280 up front, and if you transfer the plates to another eligible collector car, they 'pro-rate' the plate value severely.

So, I lost most of the 5 years of registration value when I swapped after 2 years. I'll go year-to-year and avoid this Colorado TAX on collector cars. I'd only keep the plates going on a truck you are sure you will keep for at least another 5 years.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Without reading all the details of the changes, is this relatively new? I renewed my '76 for another 5 years in the spring, but didn't have to do an emissions test.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Without reading all the details of the changes, is this relatively new? I renewed my '76 for another 5 years in the spring, but didn't have to do an emissions test.
Passed in june and came into effect in august.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Timing is everything - good job Matt!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Anyone want to buy a 1978 FJ40? You forgot to mention the mandated 15-20% ethanol that makes all of the old iron less efficient. This was planned all along, it wasn't a surprise to the folks that make up these laws.

I have eleven (11) 5 year collector's plates that are due in October. NONE of that revenue is going to Colorado this year (if this BS is true).
'Root, you've mentioned the mandatory 15-20% ethanol coming soon to a pump near you and I've seen the ad on TV about writing your congresspeople to not impose legislation to this effect. Do we have a thread going on the forum that discusses the possibility of E15/20 so we can all see what is going on and act accordingly? Who needs to worry about keeping trails open if we can't get fuel that our vehicles will run on??
Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

The following states do not have emissions testing: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming.

For states that do not have emissions testing, form DR 2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number is required in place of a passing emissions test.

I think the club needs to buy a ranch in Wyoming where all of our collector vehicles get "stored".
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL