Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post
I think the club needs to buy a ranch in Wyoming where all of our collector vehicles get "stored".
I thought we were buying a ranch in Nicaragua...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Or guatemala. Either one would allow you to buy your sweet 70 series and drive it to the states for a year. Of course, you need $80k cash to buy just the truck. Doh!
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

I thought there were counties in Colorado that did not require emissions testing. Just find a guy with a cabin
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

According to the folks I talked to last year when registering the '77 40 you have one "legal" residence in Colorado and that your vehicles must be registered in the county of that legal residence. No registering in the county where your second home/cabin is unless you make the cabin address the address on your driver's license. I tried but got shot down. If there is a way to register to another residence other than your house address I'd like to know it.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
According to the folks I talked to last year when registering the '77 40 you have one "legal" residence in Colorado and that your vehicles must be registered in the county of that legal residence. No registering in the county where your second home/cabin is unless you make the cabin address the address on your driver's license. I tried but got shot down. If there is a way to register to another residence other than your house address I'd like to know it.
Well, Wyoming has no state income tax, and no corporate tax either. You could buy an acre, set up an LLC and small internet biz and register your cars as company vehicles. Obviously, you would need to show some plausible income from that business and be able to justify having a car, but that's not too difficult. I have a side LLC that sells products on Amazon and that can more or less be run from anywhere. Or, wouldn't it just be easier to pay the emission fee and have your truck running right? lol
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Really loving my '66 these days. It was a pretty nice cruise in to Boulder this morning. Wouldn't be surprised if I had to get emissions done in 4 years when I'm due the way things are going.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post
Well, Wyoming has no state income tax, and no corporate tax either. You could buy an acre, set up an LLC and small internet biz and register your cars as company vehicles. Obviously, you would need to show some plausible income from that business and be able to justify having a car, but that's not too difficult. I have a side LLC that sells products on Amazon and that can more or less be run from anywhere. Or, wouldn't it just be easier to pay the emission fee and have your truck running right? lol
The 40 blew extra clean sans smog equipment last Nov. when registering it for the first time. It came from Ft. Morgan and had been completely desmogged and it still is.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Lifted

There was just a thread on this a few weeks ago, I thought it was here, maybe it was colo4x... There was the same panic and pissed off thoughts on the change in that thread too, which got me worked up since I have a 76 with collector plates. If I'm reading right, the OP had issues and they wouldn't let him re-register? I think everyone's getting worked up for no reason, at least for those who are grandfathered.

In regards to those grandfathered, I don't think there is any change. I just registered mine in August, via the mail, with no problems. Read the law carefully again, pertinent words highlighted by myself..

"Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; or

(c) A model year at least thirty-two years old; except that, if the vehicle is being registered in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304:

(I) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being INITIALLY registered by the owner as a collector's item"

In other words, if it's currently registered as collector, then still no emissions should be required because you're not INITIALLY registering it, you're renewing it.

What am I missing??
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
So what are the odds that I can pass the non-enhanced test without the egr or air pump installed assuming I can pass the sniffer?
I passed last time without any smog equipment... I did pass the sniffer.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
There was just a thread on this a few weeks ago, I thought it was here, maybe it was colo4x... There was the same panic and pissed off thoughts on the change in that thread too, which got me worked up since I have a 76 with collector plates. If I'm reading right, the OP had issues and they wouldn't let him re-register? I think everyone's getting worked up for no reason, at least for those who are grandfathered.

In regards to those grandfathered, I don't think there is any change. I just registered mine in August, via the mail, with no problems. Read the law carefully again, pertinent words highlighted by myself..

"Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; or

(c) A model year at least thirty-two years old; except that, if the vehicle is being registered in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304:

(I) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being INITIALLY registered by the owner as a collector's item"

In other words, if it's currently registered as collector, then still no emissions should be required because you're not INITIALLY registering it, you're renewing it.

What am I missing??
You have to read further down. 42-12-101 defines what is a collector vehicle. My 1977 FJ40 registered as a collector's vehicle before 2009 is considered to be a collector's vehicle under the law. The difference is that you can now register, say, a 1977 FJ40 as a collector vehicle as long as you meet the requirements for the emissions test.

The other difference is here, and applies to ALL collector vehicles, even the ones that were grandfathered in. 42-4-304 says this: "the executive director shall establish a biennial inspection schedule for 1982 and newer model vehicles, an annual inspection schedule for 1981 and older model vehicles, and a five-year inspection schedule for a 1976 or newer motor vehicle registered as a collector's item."

Additionally, 42-4-310 says, "To be sold or transferred or to renew the registration, 1976 and newer model motor vehicles registered as a collector's item under article 12 of this title must be inspected and have a certification of emissions control. The certification of emissions control is valid for sixty months." <----This part is different for those of us that got grandfathered into the collector program.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD