Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice work Isaac. That tire looks huge on the back of the Runner.

I had/have the same issue with my carrier walking on the back of the bumper and locking up the latch. I have a pin on mine but there is still enough room to allow for movement of the carrier. I've tried different adjustments from super tight (locks up) to super loose (why bother...) to try and compensate, but I've never dialed it in perfectly. For now my latch is moderately loose and I have to give the tire a shove toward the truck each time I want to open the carrier. It's a nuisance for sure.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I must have missed where you plan to use the gas strut but I assume on the swing arm similar to the 4x4Labs design? One thing that I have noticed with mine is that the struts under the swing arms are a PITA in the winter. You have to be careful of ice buildup on the bumper as to not destroy the struts. I have to always close mine during storms or be sure to clean the bumper off good right away in the morning. Then wash it more often in the winter to melt off ice. Long road trips can pose issues occasionally too during storms.
Yeah, it would be to hold the sing arm open, but with that review, I think I'll pass. I hadn't thought about ice build up having issues, but that makes total sense.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Nice work Isaac. That tire looks huge on the back of the Runner.

I had/have the same issue with my carrier walking on the back of the bumper and locking up the latch. I have a pin on mine but there is still enough room to allow for movement of the carrier. I've tried different adjustments from super tight (locks up) to super loose (why bother...) to try and compensate, but I've never dialed it in perfectly. For now my latch is moderately loose and I have to give the tire a shove toward the truck each time I want to open the carrier. It's a nuisance for sure.
Hmm, my pin is working great. There is really no movement of the arm at this point, and the only thing I have to do is open the latch first, to take pressure off the pin, and it slides right out. The latch is now nice an easy to open.

I'm not following what you mean by adjustments? Are you talking about the pin or the latch?

Generation Dead
Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

The latch. By adjustments I mean loosening and tightening the ubolt in order to try and control how tightly and where the latch holds the swing arm in place.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ah! Yeah, I played with that too. I have it so it is tight, but still easy enough to undo and relatch.

How is your pin done?

Generation Dead
Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice Job Issac!

Been looking on line as Rachel got another 4runner and its lacking sliders and a bumper. Yours looks great.

Did you consider mounting the tire a bit lower to increase visibility out the back window?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Nice Job Issac!

Been looking on line as Rachel got another 4runner and its lacking sliders and a bumper. Yours looks great.

Did you consider mounting the tire a bit lower to increase visibility out the back window?
Thanks Ken!

Yes, I sure did. However, I just couldn't get that to work with the hitch set up, and the desire to have other attachments mount back there (at least how I was envisioning things). It took a bit, but I'm pretty used to using just the side mirrors now.

Generation Dead
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Small update. Pictures later though, as I was trying upload and it won't go for some reason.

Anyway, received my first winch ever for xmas, and got it installed. Warn M8000.

I'm staying with the steel cable for now. Over the years I've read all of the pros and cons of synthetic rope, and while it is certainly a much easier material on the hands, and won't kink, it does abrade more easily, and, according to the interwebs, is pretty susceptible to UV damage.

So, I may go that route in the future, but for now, I'll probably use the winch a bit first before dropping the coin on the new rope.

I now need to get out and use it!!! LOL!

Generation Dead
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's cool Isaac, what a nice gift!

I agree, once my wire wears out il switch to synthetic but until then I'm gonna stick with steel... It's not like I wheel anyway

One factor is the synthetic takes a nice chunk of weight that is pretty far forward of the front tires, all the weight of bumpers, winches etc can start messin with your plush handling. But I drive a 40 and there is no plush handling!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looking good, very clean lines hugging the body. Like the bike carrier and the fact that you can interchange it for other items. Have something similar but it is in the hitch so have to remove it to open the rear door. Very good idea, may have to borrow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me