Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Multi Use Trailer

This followed me home Saturday afternoon..

Been wanting a dual purpose trailer, for family/expo and wood hauler. Even with a Land Cruiser, camping with the family and all we need was getting cramped.

After missing out on a few used M416s on CL, I ran into one these in Steamboat. Did some research and decided this would be a good fit for our use and budget.

I picked Caterpillar yellow vs matching.

So far I mounted the RTT with quick release Thule towers, so I can remove the RTT quickly when hauling stuff like mulch, wood..

This is a Ruger Trailer and Steve the owner is local up off of Federal. Price was reasonable and pretty comparable to buying a used M416 and then fixing it up.

I went with leaf springs for cost but Steve also makes an independent suspension similar to an Adventure Trailer. The box is 5ft long vs an m416's 6 foot length. Steve can make what ever length you like, though. I stayed away from anything custom again for cost considerations. Steve can get the 6x5 hubs for Toyota wheels. We had to find a local fab shop to create a hub adapter to convert a 5x5 to the 100 series lug pattern.

Need to mount the water can carrier and 5lb propane bottle.

Mario from Adventure Trailer happened to be in town and delivered a propane btle and mount to the house. He walked around my trailer and agreed that the trailer was a good value for the price point.

Nice to have a bit of his seal of approval, since he knows so much about these trailers and how we use them.

It is awfully shinny and will need some Colorado Sun with a mix of southern Utah dust to get just the right patine...

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 09-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Really nice Chris!

I met Steve and his wife when I was having my rack powdercoated. He was picking up his trailer frames from the same powdercoater. We spoke for a while about all the options he offers.

Does the lid have struts that can handle the weight of the RTT, so you can open the lid while the tent is attached? Did it come with the LC wheels?

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

You guys love the Skinny Girl... hey what kind of hitch does it have? Is there a back door to access your junk while someone's up top?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Is there a back door to access your junk while someone's up top?

nice. i needed that laugh this afternoon.

i've heard good things about his trailers. looking forward to hearing how it holds up for you.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

What was the cost on that beaut?

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
You guys love the Skinny Girl... hey what kind of hitch does it have? Is there a back door to access your junk while someone's up top?

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yep, that was Melinda's drink, I stick to beer... I have it set with a Pintel and Lunette for now. I might do what Dave K. has down the road.

There are 2 sizes available for back doors, small and large... I will post pics.

Small back door

Large Back door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Really nice Chris!

I met Steve and his wife when I was having my rack powdercoated. He was picking up his trailer frames from the same powdercoater. We spoke for a while about all the options he offers.

Does the lid have struts that can handle the weight of the RTT, so you can open the lid while the tent is attached? Did it come with the LC wheels?
The lid does have stout struts and one locks. It opens really solid with RTT on it and did not seem as though the RTT was overloading in any way.

I supplied the wheels and tires. Had to get an adapter made to go from 5x5 to 5 x 150mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
What was the cost on that beaut?
His prices are on his website. They start at 3k and go up depending on what you want. Also you get a small credit if supplying your own wheels
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 09-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

That's really slick. Hopefully my trailer will be done by next summer.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

"not a step" Wonder why not? Seems like having that as a step would be super handy.

I also like having quick release ends on my tailgate limits. Sometimes its nice to be able to swing it all the way down. You could easily add some biners and accomplish that if you find the need to. (BTW, I have the tool that makes those cable crimps. It's not a high end tool like he used, but it works pretty well, just not as clean a crimp as that.)
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL

Last edited by OilHammer; 09-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice Chris
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper