Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun member

Aha - here it is on the Aircare website:
House Bill 13-1071 Summary
Changes the definition of a collector’s item to include vehicles that are 32 years old and older.
Requires vehicles model year 1976 and later to comply with emissions testing requirements upon registration and re-registration.
Requires the vehicle owner of a collector’s item to sign an affidavit acknowledging that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways more than 4,500 miles per year.

Who Does the Bill Impact?
Motorists who own a vehicle at least 32 years old are now able to register the vehicle as a collector’s item.
Motorists who own a 1976 and newer model year vehicle that was registered as a collector’s item prior to September 2009. Beginning August 7th, 2013, to re-register a collector’s item that is model year 1976 or later, the owner must have a certificate of emissions compliance.

Benefits to Vehicle Owners [hint: there are no benefits to those who were already grandfathered in and had emissions-exempt status]
Increases the number of vehicles that may qualify as a collector’s item.
Allows vehicles model year 1976 and later, that are registered as a collector’s item, to comply with emissions requirements every five years instead of on an annual or biannual cycle.
Allows vehicles model year 1976 and later, that are registered as a collector’s item, to complete the license plate renewal process every five years instead of annually.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

2013 - 32 years = 1981. So if I bought back my old FJ40, at least I could get collector's plates again and would only need to get it emissions tested every 5 years. That's certainly better than previous for new owners of old vehicles.

I wonder: Where did they come up with 32 years? Such an odd number.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
2013 - 32 years = 1981. So if I bought back my old FJ40, at least I could get collector's plates again and would only need to get it emissions tested every 5 years. That's certainly better than previous for new owners of old vehicles.

I wonder: Where did they come up with 32 years? Such an odd number.
i believe the emissions regulations changed in 82. hence the stricter testing for 82 and newer at scarecare colorado stations
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default too bad they don't go by build date

I have a build date of 11/76, too bad it's model year and not build date.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
I have a build date of 11/76, too bad it's model year and not build date.
Yeah, but yours and mine are still 2 years too late. 10/76 here
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Lifted

Sonofabitch. I double checked when I registered it and it was actually early July, so I guess I just squeeked in and at least got a 5 year reprieve from needing an e-test. This sucks. Of course they'll probably change things again before I have to renew again.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been hording emissions parts for quite some time. If you need to borrow some stuff to get you passed PM me. I have a kit (full exhaust, intake carb everything) that I swap on to pass emissions. then I go back to a desmog for a 4mpg and 15 or so HP increase for driving. It's an 8hr ass beating, but worth it for the trips that I do.

or just get a PO box in summit county or something so that you can register up there. Sorry if I' repeating info, didn't take the time to read all of the replies.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
Sonofabitch. I double checked when I registered it and it was actually early July, so I guess I just squeeked in and at least got a 5 year reprieve from needing an e-test. This sucks. Of course they'll probably change things again before I have to renew again.
Maybe, but it won't get any better. Only more restrictive
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps8460 View Post
I've been hording emissions parts for quite some time. If you need to borrow some stuff to get you passed PM me.

or just get a PO box in summit county or something so that you can register up there. Sorry if I' repeating info, didn't take the time to read all of the replies.
Thanks, mine's a SBC though. Only thing I've needed to do in the past before collector plates was to have a working air pump system, which is no longer installed. I did save all the plumbing, but my new headers don't have any ports. I'm doing a later model EFI swap, so maybe a trip to the referee is the best approach, although they may still have used the air injection on my donor motor, I'll have to research. Funny thing is all the e-tests I got and nobody ever questioned the V8. Just wanted to see the air system.

I do have access to a PO box in Summit county, 2 in fact, but someone posted they have cracked down on that trick (has to be same address as on your license). Not sure how accurate that info is, have to research that option too.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps8460 View Post
I've been hording emissions parts for quite some time. If you need to borrow some stuff to get you passed PM me. I have a kit (full exhaust, intake carb everything) that I swap on to pass emissions. then I go back to a desmog for a 4mpg and 15 or so HP increase for driving. It's an 8hr ass beating, but worth it for the trips that I do.

Sorry if I seem to be repeating info, too, but you can't just get a PO box in an outlying county or use your buddies cabin address when applying for auto registration. In Colorado, you have one legal residence and that is what you must use for registering your vehicle. If you have a drivers license issued in an emissions county then you are stuck with having to get your cars through emissions testing. The only way around it, that I see, is to get your license issued in a non-participating county and that is more of a long-term hassle than swapping emission gear in and out every year if you remain living in the Front Range.