Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Lifted

I guess they chose closing that loophole over allowing a valid exemption and creating a huge inconvenience for a small group of people? I can see someone living in Denver and having a weekend cabin somewhere in the hills with a dedicated cabin rig(and I actually know a guy with this same scenario), lets make it worst case scenario, it's in Durango. Now every 2 years (assuming non-collector) he has to drive that cabin vehicle all the way from Durango to Denver and back just to get an emmissions test done. Unfortunately for this guy he's getting screwed to prevent all the other people circumventing the law.

Do you know if that info is published anywhere on the State's or Envirocare's website?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Non collector plates on my 77 FJ40 require yearly tail pipe puff tests.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

What if you guys just drive past a bunch of those mobile van things... can you skip the rigamarole? http://aircarecolorado.com/locations...uck-locations/

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Sorry if I seem to be repeating info, too, but you can't just get a PO box in an outlying county or use your buddies cabin address when applying for auto registration. In Colorado, you have one legal residence and that is what you must use for registering your vehicle. If you have a drivers license issued in an emissions county then you are stuck with having to get your cars through emissions testing. The only way around it, that I see, is to get your license issued in a non-participating county and that is more of a long-term hassle than swapping emission gear in and out every year if you remain living in the Front Range.
Well, I have 3 collector vehicles registered at my daughters address since she lives in a non-emissions county. The last was purchased 3 months ago. On the first two nobody ever asked to see my DL to verify my residence. On the most recent one, the lady asked and I just told her it has my old address on it since you have at least 90 days in Colo to get your license changed when you move.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
What if you guys just drive past a bunch of those mobile van things... can you skip the rigamarole? http://aircarecolorado.com/locations...uck-locations/
Nope

From your link,

"To be eligible for the benefits of RapidScreen, a vehicle must be gasoline-powered, of the model year 1982 or newer and registered in Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Jefferson, Larimer, or Weld counties. Vehicles that are not eligible for RapidScreen include models made in 1981 or earlier, diesel-powered or alternative fuel vehicles, government vehicles, vehicles with outstanding emissions failures, or any vehicle weighing more than 10,000 pounds."
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post
Well, Wyoming has no state income tax, and no corporate tax either. You could buy an acre, set up an LLC and small internet biz and register your cars as company vehicles. Obviously, you would need to show some plausible income from that business and be able to justify having a car, but that's not too difficult. I have a side LLC that sells products on Amazon and that can more or less be run from anywhere. Or, wouldn't it just be easier to pay the emission fee and have your truck running right? lol
Working on that now for all our vehicles but another state. Same idea just a little different set up, pay for LLC but save $1000's a year on registrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Just one data point here, I just received my 5 year renewal for my 1971 FJ40 that already has collector's plates, and it does not say I need an emissions test. I am just going to pay my $183.17 and be happy I don't have additional hassles. For this particular interface with our state government.

I just got done spending an hour and a half (on top of the hours I have already spent) wasting time on the state health insurance exchange. That story would no doubt be better posted in the political section of our forum...
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

I got the renewal notice for my '78 FJ40 last month. It oddly seems to have gone down in price - 5 years is now $185, I and I know my last set of plates was north of $250. I'm not complaining. I live in a non-e-test county, so that is not part of this issue.

I looked up the last collector car bill that passed in Colo., and it was a mix of Dems and Repubs that have hosed us this time - a few more Dems and Repubs. I wonder if we (and some other like minded sorts) can't find a liberty-minded rep to sponsor something consistent and easy to follow to revised the collector car bill? The regs that gets passed seem always to be a hodge-podge of slapped-together junk that makes life difficult for collector car owners. I understand that the rolling 25 year deal was opposed (a few years back) by a collector car group who didn't want to see collector plates on 25 year old Japanese stuff (it was 'too new' for them).

My conclusion is this: we are supposed to be represented by our state house critters, and yet we're merely victims of the whims of whatever klutzes there cobble together a collector car bill every few years. I agree that the goal is to marginalize/outlaw those 'old unsafe stinkers' where possible and practical.

Steve
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Just one data point here, I just received my 5 year renewal for my 1971 FJ40 that already has collector's plates, and it does not say I need an emissions test.
from the first post "This is something to be aware of if you have a '76+ that is registered as a collectors, you are now required to pass emissions every 5 years in order to renew your registration."
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

December of 1978... No emissions required. Renewed for 5 more years
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  116.8 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133