Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Off Road Trailer and Expedition Theme for the Oct. Meeting

Bring your off-road trailers and expedition equipment to the Stevenson parking lot on Wed. 10/2/13. Share you cool mods and latest equipment with others before and after the meeting which starts at 7:30. If we have a good showing and interest we might decide to start the meeting a little late.

Chris Davis came up with this plan and Tim and I thought it was a fine idea. Thanks Chris.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm so there! (Photo Credit: wesintl)
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Take that off any sweet jumps?
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Great idea. I'll be on a family expo..... I'll check in remotely from Telluride.

A Rising Sun Trasharoo
ARB Fridge
Hot Water Shower
Camp Chair
Custom Gamiviti Rack

That's my expo list. I'm a minimalist and I just sleep in the back.
Well..... and the fact that trailers cost $3k+ and really fancy popups are
$15k+

Maybe the only thing I'm minimal on is money

OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Cool! Thanks for posting this Scott! Stan nice pick, is that en-route to Top of the world?

Thought this might be a fun way to congregate before the meeting, see what different mods guys have done to their expo/hunting trailers and get inspiration for our own ideas/plans for mods..

Dave Kaiser and Drew have some really well thought out trailers.

I will bring mine and Dave mentioned that he was willing to bring his, as he is loaded and ready for the Outlaws run. Maybe there are others that are also loaded for the Outlaws run and want to show off their gear, wheel barrels !! Hoping Drew can make the meeting and bring his, also.

Maybe Ken will be able to bring his, as well? Anyone else???

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Maybe Ken will be able to bring his, as well? Anyone else???
Mine is tucked away in the garage, getting it out takes a few minutes, putting it back by myself takes some time and not wanting to do that after a meeting at night.

You can enjoy the pictures in this thread to see what I have including my recent expansion with an Oztent

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...ey-kamper.html
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Since I can't make it on Wednesday, I'll post my questions/concerns. I had been set on a RTT and that gradually morphed into saving for a expo style trailer with a RTT on top (Just like yours Chris)..... However, We've been toying with the idea of a entry level offroad pop up lately now. (E1, Jayco Baja type) It ends up being roughly the same price as a trailer/RTT. Less capable off road, but much more convenient.

The thing that deters me from the trailer with mounted RTT is that it's so low to the ground that an annex room won't work. We like the idea of having that extra room to store some gear, let the dog have her own bed area, change clothes etc. I was on the Koko this year with a guy who built a trailer from a kit. The tent was mounted up high, but could be lowered if needed. It was a neat setup, pretty affordable considering and very capable offroad. This is the article about the trailer on our trip.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/r...iew-53728.html

Anyone else have the same concerns? I guess a big eating/gathering tent right out in front of the trailer/RTT would serve the same purpose as a big annex.

OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Having had all of those options and knowing you have young kids, the pop-up will be much better for you with a family.

shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you some more info
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
Bring your off-road trailers and expedition equipment to the Stevenson parking lot on Wed. 10/2/13. Share you cool mods and latest equipment with others before and after the meeting which starts at 7:30.
This is perfect timing. I've been burying myself in info the past couple of weeks as I prepare to sell the FJ and move to something else. This is on my calendar and I have no kid stuff downtown that night so I'll be there.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
This is the article about the trailer on our trip.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/r...iew-53728.html

Anyone else have the same concerns? I guess a big eating/gathering tent right out in front of the trailer/RTT would serve the same purpose as a big annex.
Gotta love that Lock N Roll hitch!

Not sure I will be able to drag my beast out for this, but love the idea.. I run the modified popup setup, here's the "build thread" http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=17804

Stan my opinion is the younger the kids, and/or the worse the weather, than the better the popup gets. There's something about being able to just go inside & play games or cook mac & cheese or go to bed. Or being able to get up in the morning and hang out where it's warm & comfy. If we're going to be at the same place for 2+ nights, particularly if we want to bring a bunch of toys, we like the popup. One example is our daughter was 4 months old at Area BFE when Cruise Moab was there. I had a daily project of refreshing propane & batteries, but in the end she slept great every night in a warm pack & play with no blankets. I think it was low 20's at night, we had to scrape ice off the windshield to go wheel.

The best thing about any trailer is being able to unhook the darn thing. I wouldn't want to actually wheel one though, particularly one of any significant weight or length. But I'm ok with dragging it through hell if it means we get to set up at a sweet site for awhile. My bottom line is trailers are all about setting up & hanging out with conveniences of comfort, stereos, multiple cooking options, etc. and bringing a ton of crap with you. We love to camp this way sometimes- we bring bikes, motorcycles, Estes rockets, kites, RC cars, squirt guns, you name it.

I could see as the kids get older & the bikes get bigger converting our utility trailer to more like what Josh built up, i.e. the RTT on top of moto space. The really likes sleeping in the RTT, and I'm coming around to enjoying that style of camping as well (a lot more living out of the back of the truck, a lot less "moving in" to your camper or tent.)

As for RTTon the truck, it's a project to bolt the thing on and take it off again... plus there went all my roof rack space (no more Thule box for guitars, no more 10x10, etc.) However setup/tear down is a snap, and it's great for sleeping (not much else). My bottom line is RTT's are all about just getting through the night and on with your day, with a minimal amount of junk to move in transition. We love to camp like this too-

I've yet to experience a hybrid trailer/RTT, so maybe I'm missing out on the benefit? My naive opinion is I feel they combine the worst of each- all the joys of towing a trailer, with all the joys of not having a camper when you get there. But they sure look cool.. I'm not ruling it out and am open to the idea, look forward to seeing more about it next week! I could easily come around.

www.gamiviti.com