Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Lifted

Default Antennas that can take a beating (2m/70cm)

Parking garage is 6'8" so if I have an antenna on my roof it takes a beating. I just have a mag mount Larsen at the moment and when I went through the garage with it on my 89 Pickup it got knocked over, so no way would it work on the FJ60.

Are there any decent antennas I could use that could take the parking garage/random tree branch beating or do I need to get some kind of foldover mount?

Are there any mounts that might foldover when the antenna gets resistance? Just in case one forgot to to fold it?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I ended up just swapping antennas. I have a short one that's on most of the time, that is lower than the garages I enter, then a longer one I swap on for extended trips, or when the RTT is on and I can't enter garages (the long antenna helps reinforce that).

For shorties, one of the most durable is the Comet SBB-1. Plus it actually works pretty well- you'll still hit about every repeater you're used to, and performs great on trail runs. It comes up short for longer range simplex, or trying to hit the GJ repeater from Rifle, but again those times just swap on a bigger one.

I have seen multiple broken Comet SBB-5's, have broken one myself. The thin base they use for the fold-over portion just isn't up to the task of pushing through tree branches. So I'd look more towards a Diamond for a big one.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

I drilled NMO holes and run a STI-CO Flexiwhip for 2m and a 1/4 wavelength Larsen for 70cm. I don't think twice about it, just let 'er run into whatever is overhead. I do keep a 5/8 wavelength Larsen for 2m if I need gain. There is an advantage to running NMO because there isn't anything shear off like PL259/SO239 types. The overall thickness over the sheet metal is maybe 3/4" and then the whips flex above that. I need maybe and inch or two of clearance above the roof.

The Flexiwhip is what a lot of wildland fire trucks run, they are all but indestructible.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Lifted

Yeah it would just be for local repeaters and simplex, so I may be able to use a short one.

Hmm...Comet SBB-1...I think I may have one of those in my parts pile actually...with a Gamiviti mount...

I have a N9TAX rollup Slim Jim I keep handy if I need something higher gain and I can tie it in a tree & get it way up there.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Lifted

Hmm..would you look at that...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ecommendations