Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Minitruck/Tundra rear axle

Question for the minitruck guys:

Found a leaky rear axle seal on the tundra. Getting mixed input on whether that means automatic need for new bearing or not. Seal and shoes are about $100, the rest of the stuff to do the bearing is another $150 (with a generous discount) plus machine shop work to hack off the ABS ring and press the bearing. I got the axle out, and the backing plate wobbles just a little bit. Is that normal or does that mean bearing needs to be replaced?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would replace the bearing(s). Too much play in the bearings allowing the axles to wobble is one of the reasons why the rear axle seal fails. Your Tundra doesn't have a million miles and hasn't been abused, so stuff like flexing of the housing doesn't make a lot of sense. OTOH my axle was still running the bearings that Toyota put in up until a couple of years ago, so anything's possible.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 AM

hey matt the pass side of my tundra failed,i tried to use the backing plate to knock the bearing and abs off, couldn't do it. took it to lakearbor auto here in westminster and charged me $130 for r&r. i know you are down south but any machine shop should do it.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Rising Sun member

So just about have this back together, had Havana machine shop on arapahoe press on a new bearing (and BTW so excited to have a NAPA in that part of town). The new one wobbles in the backing plate just like the old one, so probably didn't need a new one. Oh well
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD