Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Default Cascade Creek Furlough Run 10/10

It sure was nice to get out and explore. The crew Du Jour was Crash, Jacket, Big Country and Fishy. 4 was the perfect size for what we ended up doing...... which was just good ol' fashioned exploring.

None of us had ever been in the Cascade Creek area before. It's a huge maze of trails and spurs. We were never really lost, but there was never a time that we knew where we were going, or ever destined for a particular spot. We each took turns leading which meant one guy just drove around and turned where his gut said to turn, and the others followed. Truly a fun way to go.

There were many times when the road turned into a fantastic obstacle, other times it just passed through a network of trails..... some were dead ends, some ended at private property or abandoned cabins. There was more than one very strategic turn around involving long drives in reverse and tight corners.

There were many times when the leader just stopped and got out, so we'd just sit and talk. We walked around some old shelters and mine cabins. The trails were tight and if you're worried about pin striping, this isn't an area for you. Some sections were pretty gnarly and not really suitable for stock vehicles, others were just old dirt roads. Crash had the line of the day when he climbed through a super gnarly section that body damage was a very real possibility. I didn't get any good pics of the spot, but it wasn't a simple drive-thru.

We stopped for a hot lunch of pork green chile over chips, and good conversation. We got snowed on for a while too! It sure was nice to be on the HAM all day and not worry about CB range or quality. We even talked to Nakman as he passed by on I-70. The day ended with us just popping out on a road that lead to the I-70 frontage road just north of Idaho Springs. We figured it must be time to air up and turn for home.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the putting this run together, Stan, and for the report w/ pics. I have to say the best part of a really good day with good people and fun trails was your green chile stew. Beyond delicious! Have to taste that again at the end of the day where a few brewskis to wash it all down would be apropos. Good to make new friends with you and Bill and it's always good to be on the trail with Jacket. Good fun.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun member

So where does the cascade creek system "start"?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

This is awesome.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
So where does the cascade creek system "start"?
You access the trailhead by heading SW out of Idaho Springs on Hwy 103 toward Mt Evans. The trailhead is about 5 miles out of town and is clearly marked my a road sign. There are quite a few cabins and private lands up there, along with an extensive system of trails and spurs. We didn't have a good, detailed map of the area so we probably missed at least 1/2 the trails. There were so many unmarked intersections that it was tough to know the "correct" trail to follow. There was an abundance of mining ruins and tailings as you might expect in that area.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

I heard you guys sporadically up here at the QTH on 146.460, a few times very clearly. I tried to make a call but never heard anyone ID, so I just called CQ. Either you didn't hear me or it was just static. Probably was about 1400. FWIW, I was also monitoring 145.310 in case anyone jumped over there.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

That was a fun day. I'm a big fan of getting "lost" in a trail system and just seeing what there is to be found. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of trails with a few difficult spots to challenge the wagons.

I didn't take any pictures except this sequence of Stan early in the day on one of the rocky climbs.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I heard you guys sporadically up here at the QTH on 146.460, a few times very clearly. I tried to make a call but never heard anyone ID, so I just called CQ. Either you didn't hear me or it was just static. Probably was about 1400. FWIW, I was also monitoring 145.310 in case anyone jumped over there.
I didn't hear you Dave, and don't remember any other noise. We picked up Tim in the early afternoon as he was passing along I70, but otherwise the radios were quiet.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun member

Oh ok, I think you can end up at the top of spring creek from there and get all the way over to Georgetown too
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
At 1400 we just made a turn onto a spur that ended at an emergency shelter. The roads ended abruptly and we were probably in a spot that we couldn't hear each other. Just before that turn, we were in an open area on the north side of the mountain. I bet we could have picked you up. It was exactly 1500 when we were coming out of that spot (back into the open area facing north) that I heard Tim call.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW