Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Mild Trail Ideas for Target Practice?

Hey everyone! I'm just starting to poke around the site and was directed here by a member on ih8mud. I'm hoping you can offer some advice.

I've been enjoying a new (to me) 99 Cruiser for a month now and I'm looking for a trip this coming weekend somewhere interesting and accessible for a solo, stock 100 series with 285/75 (BFG AT's, effectively 33's) and a locked rear.

I'm looking for somewhere on National Forest land within a few hours of Denver so I can do a little target practice (.22 rifle) and hiking/picnic with the family.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure if this is the best section, so please redirect me if need be.

It's getting late in the season so I know some areas may be closing up for the year.

I did Gross Reservoir with a friend earlier this year and that fits my bill (mild trail, forest land open to shooting), but I'd love to explore new areas.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Don't forget that hunting season is in full swing.

Lots of closures up in the Boulder area due to the flooding. Wherever you go, make sure you are up to speed with shooting regulations regarding distance from roads and trails, proper targets, etc. And always clean up after yourself and use common sense and be safe.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Lifted

I replied to your thread on 'Mud, but just in case...

I usually head up to Barbour Fork. It's close, but it is pretty popular, and is going to close in the next month or so. Takes off right out of Idaho Springs. Just make sure you find a hill or berm to shoot into.

Bill Moore Lake is another ok spot, just don't mess with all of the old mine buildings up there. A lot of them are active. Bill Moore takes off out of Empire.

Headed up 285 a bit yesterday, if you turn through Bailey and go a bit farther than Wellington lake, there are some good flat spots around there too.

I've also had some friends mention a spot outside of Pine Junction that is an actual range (free), but I've never been there.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Don't forget that hunting season is in full swing.

Lots of closures up in the Boulder area due to the flooding. Wherever you go, make sure you are up to speed with shooting regulations regarding distance from roads and trails, proper targets, etc. And always clean up after yourself and use common sense and be safe.
Of course! I make a rule to clean up more than I left behind. My preferred target now is an auto-resetting metal plinking target. No mess left behind and no need to stop to reset targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisledYouth View Post
I replied to your thread on 'Mud, but just in case...

I usually head up to Barbour Fork. It's close, but it is pretty popular, and is going to close in the next month or so. Takes off right out of Idaho Springs. Just make sure you find a hill or berm to shoot into.

Bill Moore Lake is another ok spot, just don't mess with all of the old mine buildings up there. A lot of them are active. Bill Moore takes off out of Empire.

Headed up 285 a bit yesterday, if you turn through Bailey and go a bit farther than Wellington lake, there are some good flat spots around there too.

I've also had some friends mention a spot outside of Pine Junction that is an actual range (free), but I've never been there.
I'm looking at Bordenville Gulches as well. Looks like a nice area near Terryall with some forest land.

I'm also a little concerned with the whole Govt shutdown business. Is it likely trails would be blocked off or off limits? I understand monuments and such could be closed, but I would think public land wouldn't "close". Then again never underestimate the senselessness of the fed. :/
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Lifted

Bill Moore and Barbour Fork should be perfect for .22 on steel.

- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

There's a shooting area out by Bailey. Doesn't take too long to get there from Denver.
Head out 285 toward Bailey. Just before you get to Bailey, there is a light where Co Rd 43A "T's" into 285. There's a gas station there ahead and to the right. Turn right at the light and follow Deer Creek Rd for approx. 6.7 miles where the road will "Y" with Deer Creek Rd going left and Co Rd 47/Clark Rd going right. Take Clark Rd to the right. Stay on the main paved road. (it will change names a couple of times) You'll end up being on Shelton Dr. Come to the intersection of Shelton and Neal Rd. Across and to the right there will be a building with a red tin roof. Take a right on Neal and there will be a pond directly besides the road on your left. Take a left right after the pond on Pike Nat. Forest Rd. 108. Follow this road through the woods till you come to a "Y", stay to the left. Continue until the road makes a hard "90" to the left and immediately "T's" into another dirt road. Take a right. You'll drive out through an open meadow and then back into some trees again where there is a turn off to your left. Take this to the left and you'll be at the shooting range.
It can be a little messy as most people don't clean up after themselves. But it's a safe place to shoot.

Also, if you go back out to where Deer Creek Rd and Clark Rd "Y" and continue down Deer Creek Rd all the way to the very end, there's a parking area and the trailhead to Mt. Rosalie.

Now, if you're looking for a good place to bounce around in the Cruiser and have a picnic, there's Slaughter Gulch out there as well. (You can't shoot there though)
To get there, go back out on Deer Creek Rd, and back just before it "Y"'s with Clark Rd, there's a road called Saddlestring Rd. Drive down this road a short piece and it will make a "90" to the left and then there's the entrance road to Slaughter Gulch on the right.

Have Fun.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Rock Stacker

Well thanks all for the advice! I ended up in Rock Creek Hills and found a great spot for shooting that was very isolated and scenic.

I saw the 43A turn off mentioned above and also looked into Barbour Fork, Slaughter Gulch and Bill Moore. I've got plans for many more trips in the area and now I've got a handful of recommendations.

I was afraid of getting stuck or only making it partially through the aforementioned trails so I'll have to try those with a buddy at some point so I can at least get bailed out should I take a bad line. I also need some sliders before I get too daring with the princess hundy.

I'll keep an eye out on here for more good adventures. Wheel on, gents.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Lifted

I took my mom's booooooone stock Xterra up Barbour Fork. Still has the steps attached. Any 100 would be fine. I'm close and would head up with you to give my SCAR a workout but this is my last week of freedom before surgery.

1999 UZJ100
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Commander

The one thing with Barbour Fork is it has a seasonal gate... I believe the Clear Creek Ranger district keeps its status updated on their web site? The other two mentioned would only be closed by snow.. usually about the same time for Bill Moore, Slaughterhouse area can be off & on throughout the winter though.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Rock Stacker

Zach, that's great to know about Barbour Fork being easy. I'm relatively new to the trail driving scene and it seems there's a HUGE variance in what is "difficult" and "moderate" depending on the author. I've been using the Funtrek's guides and TrailDamage and so far everything's been pretty easy for the 100, even if they rate it moderate to hard. I need to try out some harder terrain.

Nakman, thanks for the heads up. I ran into a situation today with ambiguous closures and it's made me realize some recon work before the trip online and over the phone can really pay off.