Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber22 View Post
fishy, was the trail rougher then last year? besides the snow, i know that it makes for a much more difficult time. i know the tundra did good last year, being stock that is.
Much harder than last year. A lot of different factors though. Most notably, the colder temps and more snow. But I ran the trail a few times this year in good conditions and it was harder than I had remembered from last year.

We ran the trail in reverse of what we did last year as well. It was the first time that I've run it in that direction. Under normal conditions I think the trail is harder the way we went last year. This year however, it would have been a short night if we tried to climb what we descended.

When I finally got in bed last night and closed my eyes, all I could see were trees whizzing by. Looking back now, it was more fun than I was ready to admit last night. But I know I was never so happy to be off of a trail.

Spooky for sure. Just too spooky for me.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW

Last edited by Fishy; 10-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks again for a great run Tim, We all had blast and I think even some of the new guys also. I can't remember the quote exactlly, but I remember some saying after they came down the hill was "who's idea was this". I did talk to a few of the new guys near the end and all of them said they had never experienced trail conditions like. Those were some tricky conditions and everyone did great. It was too bad everyone was so concentrated on driving no one got pic's. it was too bad I couldn't get a pic of the silver 3rd gen runner that started sliding backwards towards me on the incline that was causing greef to everyone as I was trying back up out of his way. All in all I think everyone did a great job and I am sure this was a great learning experience for most. Thanks again Tim for another Spooky Night run.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCDan View Post
I can't remember the quote exactlly, but I remember some one saying after they came down the hill was "who's idea was this".
LOL

That was me on the radio, half way down, as I was about to start sliding again. Fun times.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like good times! Sorry to hear someones rig got smashed up. That's never fun.

Who's limited 3rd gen runner? Looks really nice!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Lifted

I was behind this festive FJ. Thank goodness we never got too close to it.
The first half of the trail was a cakewalk. We didn't have any trouble climbing. Then the decent began. That was the most out of control wheeling I have ever done. Using the brakes effectively turned the 4Runner into a 4-rubber-runnered sled that could not be steered. I could regain steering by accelerating but, then there would be no stopping. I had much better control after setting a load on the e-brake so that we could still have some brake and steering at the same time. That provided minimal control. Still, the scariest wheeling so far for me. It was very stress full driving. To qoute fishy, "that was the most not-fun thing I have ever done 4-wheeling." But, when I woke up this morning I kept thinking, that was so awesome and, so much fun. I would do it again for sure.

Thank you nakman, and all RS again for your hospitality, leadership on the trail was on point. Also I was very impressed at the driving skill of everybody there to have been home before midnight without sliding off the trail or running into one another. Again, for the conditions we had, amazing driving by everyone.
TLCA#22551
Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
Also I was very impressed at the driving skill of everybody there to have been home before midnight without sliding off the trail or running into one another. Again, for the conditions we had, amazing driving by everyone.
^ Good point. Aside from some slight bumps and bruises from MtnAddict and I, no one slid off the trail and had to be rescued, strapped or winched. That says a lot about the crew we had!

Tonight my wife said, "That was really scary but it was fun"

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Tonight my wife said, "That was really scary but it was fun"
I was telling my wife about it today, and she said, "Yeah, I'm really glad I wasn't there." Ah well.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Definetely a fun time! Had never wheeled on ice before!
Thanks Stan for the heads up before that descent, last thing I needed are the 2 little ones freaking out as the truck bounces around! No shame at all on turning around the way we came!
Attached Images

TLCA #22380

'74 40 series (home brewed center and dash boxes)

'06 100 series (Gamiviti half rack {thanks Tim}, home brewed roof basket, rear drawers on the works)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

By the way that is Stan ahead of me!

TLCA #22380

'74 40 series (home brewed center and dash boxes)

'06 100 series (Gamiviti half rack {thanks Tim}, home brewed roof basket, rear drawers on the works)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

That was our family's first slippery night run and we had a great time! The kids were wide awake and still having a blast by the end of the bobsled zone and then all crashed hard once we hit the highway. After my first couple of slides I just embraced gravity and let it take me, stopping was available on the flats and NOT between them, I did fine by just keeping the wheels turning to maintain steering and control. Once we had the trucks spaced out enough that I wasn't worried about rear ending anyone it was fun. That said, I was third in line so the conditions were likely better for us than for the tail (and a good thing given my worn tires).
Sorry about the diff Josh, glad we got you rolling again quickly.

Many thanks Tim for a great event!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-