Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.
LOL, ok we need a Rising Sun gang day at WW... Hey funny you mentioned Ptarmagin, Mccallister cause after PramJockey's post I was checking that out as a potential and wondering if you would show me around that area. Any interest in running that again maybe Friday the 5th or Sat the 6th?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dunno why the Gazetter wouldn't have it, but French Pass shows up on Trails Illustrated. It's cataloged as USFS trail #651 and open to non-motorized traffic. Just rode up there last summer.

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist. -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

My favorite summer pass is the "Hall Pass".
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.
Wheeler pass is non motorized now. The loop up to it along with the descent back down the Colorado trail on the east side of the 10 mile range is some of my favorite single track on a MTB.

I wish I was allowed to do it on my Dirt Bike.... my mom who can't hike/MTB up there could ride it and see it. It is such a neat route..
82 FJ40
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Wincher

I'm thinking of heading up and doing Ptarmigan/McAllister on July 6 if anyone's interested.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Been awhile but I finally found the pic of what Breckenridge looked like when I first arrived there in '72. No t-shirt shops and only one stop light in the entire county. Pic was taken from the old county court house.

Quote:
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

That's a great pic Steve!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"