Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM
farnhamstj's Avatar
farnhamstj farnhamstj is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: vail co
Posts: 2,585
Default

I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.
__________________
98 uzj100. Factory rear-ARB front locked 4.88's. ARB Bull, Warn 9000, Irbis rear bumper, Slee sliders and belly pan. OME t-bars w/863 rears, HID, XM
KD0GWO
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Caribou Sandstorm's Avatar
Caribou Sandstorm Caribou Sandstorm is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.
LOL, ok we need a Rising Sun gang day at WW... Hey funny you mentioned Ptarmagin, Mccallister cause after PramJockey's post I was checking that out as a potential and wondering if you would show me around that area. Any interest in running that again maybe Friday the 5th or Sat the 6th?
__________________
Chris in Denver
01 UZJ100
TLCA# 18518
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Caribou Sandstorm's Avatar
Caribou Sandstorm Caribou Sandstorm is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.


EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.
__________________
Chris in Denver
01 UZJ100
TLCA# 18518
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Crash's Avatar
Crash Crash is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,587
Default

Dunno why the Gazetter wouldn't have it, but French Pass shows up on Trails Illustrated. It's cataloged as USFS trail #651 and open to non-motorized traffic. Just rode up there last summer.
__________________
'91 Toyota Pickup
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist. -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
OilHammer's Avatar
OilHammer OilHammer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 837
Default

My favorite summer pass is the "Hall Pass".
__________________
1978 13BT-40, 70 series mechanicals
1966 FJ45 lwb stock
2003 100 OME lift
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
rover67's Avatar
rover67 rover67 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boulder, Co
Posts: 5,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.
Wheeler pass is non motorized now. The loop up to it along with the descent back down the Colorado trail on the east side of the 10 mile range is some of my favorite single track on a MTB.

I wish I was allowed to do it on my Dirt Bike.... my mom who can't hike/MTB up there could ride it and see it. It is such a neat route..
__________________
Marco Capote
KDGWX
85 FJ60
82 FJ40
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM
pramjockey pramjockey is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 61
Default

I'm thinking of heading up and doing Ptarmigan/McAllister on July 6 if anyone's interested.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Crash's Avatar
Crash Crash is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,916
Default

Been awhile but I finally found the pic of what Breckenridge looked like when I first arrived there in '72. No t-shirt shops and only one stop light in the entire county. Pic was taken from the old county court house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.


EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
nattybumppo's Avatar
nattybumppo nattybumppo is offline
Rising Sun Secretary
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northwest Denver
Posts: 1,154
Default

That's a great pic Steve!
__________________
Sascha Steinway TLCA # 20217
1977 FJ40 "Ripper" (because it shreds!) (What is a "shread"...Steve Crase)
1988 FJ62 "Dino" OME, now in the hands of my daughter
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.