Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Confusing Run-in with Locals on Back side of Gross Res?

I had a quick trip planned up the backside of Flagstaff/CR 68J to Gross Reservoir today and ended up not doing to trail and getting harassed by locals.

I'm not a veteran of trail driving so maybe this is a common thing, but it appeared as though locals had taken it upon themselves to try and close 68J up to Gross. Shortly after 68J begins in the east there was a handwritten note on the side of the road on particle board that said "Road washed out. Go back.". The note was accompanied by spliced together yellow "DO NOT CROSS" tape strung about 7 feet off the ground between some trees. This road is a "public easement" through private property.

The trail road looked great and the "closure" looked very home-made so we decided to park and do some recon. We walked up the trail and came across a resident who said a section just got repaired/smoothed, but there may be some rough spots further up. Guy seemed nice enough and told us we could hike up to check it out.

We hiked up a mile or more and it all looked fine so we decided to head back to the cars and give it a go. When we got back to our cars there were a couple locals standing by them. One fine gent was upset and said the sheriff was on his way. We asked if he knew what the deal was with the sign and he was vague, unhelpful and suggested getting a better map and exploring elsewhere. He was an ass.

Without much experience with these odd closures we turned back and called it a day.

Are trail closures normally more "official"? This closure seemed strange and more like the locals were trying to keep people out for the hell of it rather than an actual Ranger-sponsored closure. I can't imagine a Ranger hand writing a note on wood and setting it on the ground, propped up with rocks and stringing a couple pieces of yellow DO NOT CROSS tape on a couple trees.

Any advice is welcome. Maybe I'm a clueless newb, or maybe the locals were trying to keep people out. I should have taken pictures, but I was feeling quite unwelcome and just left.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

You did fine, I'd follow up with the Forrest service though, let them know what was going on. I always jot down plate numbers when things get hairy.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

68J is an odd road, officially open but as you experienced discouraged by the locals. It did get some significant erosion damage from the big storm. Both ends of the road have some deep ruts carved in them. I imagine there have been more than one stuck vehicles up there lately and the local residents are getting tired of it. I'd be surprised if any of the storm damage has already been repaired.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

With the recent flooding, a lot of those neighborhoods are likely more sensitive now than usual about outsiders cruising about, given that many have only had limited access to their own homes. So concerns about looting, squatting, etc. are likely top of mind.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Man I dislike Boulder County.

Good on ya for not losing your cool, and better luck with the next trail!

Cheers!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

This isn't the first time I've hear of this type of behavior from locals.
In fact, I was just surveying some land for a guy who has a locked gate across a public access road through private property to access National Forest, about an hour or so past Winter Park on 40. Turns out he is actually selling access to out of state hunters through his property. Seems really shady to me. I've been meaning to speak to the rangers in that district about it.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©
Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I was up in the High Park area and it turns out the road to Masonville is still washed out. The road is blocked by Jersey Barriers. The only way around is through Drake (now open via highway 34). The catch... private gate on the only road through. I have been to both sides of this locked gate.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I was up in the High Park area and it turns out the road to Masonville is still washed out. The road is blocked by Jersey Barriers. The only way around is through Drake (now open via highway 34). The catch... private gate on the only road through. I have been to both sides of this locked gate.
I know that gate! The lady made the news a couple months ago as she was willing to let Drake residents trespass her property to come down but not up. I have ended up at that gate a couple times in the past.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's my understanding that a public access road can not be locked up by a private individual. Unless there are some special circumstances where it's permitted that I'm not aware of...

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Rock Stacker

I know the exact spot you are talking about, and I have heard some stories of him giving other people trouble, even before the flood.

Technically he probably can't close the road himself because it's a public easement, but at the same time, you are on his property so you gotta at least be respectful of his wishes. I would have driven around to the other side and gone the other direction