Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Lifted

Had an old Marine buddy in town from Pennsylvania who had never seen the mountains. He's being transferred up to Rock Springs, Wyoming, so he detoured down to Denver. We ran up Leavenworth Creek today because he said he wanted some good views. There was snow almost the whole way, but we easily made it up to Waldorf right at the Argentine trail head. Did a tiny bit of shooting, got run off by the wind after an hour or so, picked up our brass and headed into town for buffalo burgers at Tommyknocker before quickly running up Barbour Fork. More snow on the trail than last weekend, but still easily passable up to the top meadow, which is dry once you break out of the trees. It used to close November 15th, but now stays open until December 1st. Not my favorite, but it's good when you need something convenient.

We ran pretty quickly, so I don't have any good wheeling pics, just our super hardcore reunion photo.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Pawnee is a good place also

I was out exploring Pawnee Grasslands yesterday and there is a huge area for shooting inside the park. It was off of CR 65 and 69. Tons of people out there shooting anywhere from .22, AR-15's, clay pigeons and handguns. You can setup your own targets and lots of little berm areas. They are also setting up a new shooting area off of CR63 and CR96.

Very fun place to drive offroad, see some wildflie, shoot and make a day of it. Took about 2 hours from Littleton to get up there via I-25 and going through Carr back towards the NW entrance.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Moderators, I would vote to delete this thread. I feel its a very bad idea to promote shooting on our ohv trails. There are already enough trashed areas on the forest that are likely to be shut down. Lets not have the trails we work hard to keep open get turned into trashed shooting areas.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Moderators, I would vote to delete this thread. I feel its a very bad idea to promote shooting on our ohv trails. There are already enough trashed areas on the forest that are likely to be shut down. Lets not have the trails we work hard to keep open get turned into trashed shooting areas.
I believe every poster on here has made a point to mention picking up after themselves, even picking up more than themselves... aren't we about promoting responsible use? How about move it to the hunting/fishing section though... I ain't a mod in these parts.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisledYouth View Post
Is that a SCAR and Osprey can?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
As another person stated, it's all about using the land responsibly. Plenty of people hate off road drivers for similar reasons you may frown upon shooters. They ruin trails, they drive off the trail ruining surrounding area, they're loud, obnoxious, they get stuck and cause problems, etc...

Our job as responsible land users is to do the things we like to do while maintaining the land and keeping it nice for those after us. That applies to shooting just the same as wheeling.

I'd encourage more people to take up responsible target practice in the national forest just as I'd encourage them to take up responsible off roading.

If you're being responsible with shooting you pick up your brass, shoot into safe backdrops, leave no trash (targets or otherwise), use biodegradable pigeons and such and stay away from trails or buildings. A responsible shooter will leave little evidence they were shooting.

Don't let the bad few represent the entire crowd.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Lifted

Quote:

We may as well delete all the trip reports while were at it. Some may argue that you enjoying the trail is leaving the area trashy. C'mon man. You're responsible when you're wheeling right? Well, not everyone is. I'm responsible when I'm shooting, but that doesn't mean everyone else is. All we can do, whether shooting or wheeling is to leave the area cleaner than you found it, and try to correct those using their vehicles or guns irresponsibly.

Also, it is, in fact, a SCAR 17 and a .45 Osprey on an FNP45 Tac. Gotta keep them skills sharp in case someone manages to fix up my neck and I can go back to work in the hot, dusty part of the world. They do not clean up their brass over there.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Let me start by saying that I'm a gun owner and I like to target shoot (at a shooting range) and I hunt in the National Forest. I also have a little experience working in the National Forest and have seen what popular shooting areas have turned into (garbage dumps) and I have seen how a lot of the public responds to target shooting on the Forest.

You guys are taking my comment personally and missing the point. What I am saying is that by being out there on busy trails shooting, regardless of how responsible and squeaky clean you are, you are advertising the location as a shooting range to everyone who passes by. Once that starts, the less responsible people will start showing up and bring along their refrigerators, TV's, car doors, exploding targets, etc.

In addition, the areas you are recommending are very busy areas for all sorts of recreation, including camping. There are few things that will upset people more than having someone start shooting near the areas they are recreating. It is also likely that depending on your proximity to others, you are shooting illegally.

I seem to remember Rising Sun had some discussions about target shooting on club runs some time ago. Maybe this discussion should be brought up again. Especially if threads advertising "OHV trails for target shooting" are going to be featured prominently on the forum.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM

i agree with martin.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Martin thank you for bringing this up... as it's important to refresh ourselves on these issues from time to time, which often lead us even revisit our policies through intelligent discussions like this one. You bring up a good point about camping... I agree it's a bummer to camp next to someone who's plinking cans. Unless I'm doing the plinking, then it's a bummer to camp next to a lame quiet family.. which to me just validates our continuing mission here of promoting responsible shared use.

My recollection about prior discussions on club runs was more about open carry & concealed carry, less about target shooting. Our bylaws do a pretty good job clarifying our position.

Quote:

Article VIII Safety

Section A. Requirements for Club Functions

1. Intoxicated or otherwise impaired persons shall not operate any vehicle at Club events or functions. Furthermore, the Club assumes no responsibility or liability for their care or actions by them that may result in accidents, losses, injury(s) or death while participating in a Club event or function.

2. Rising Sun is a 4WD club, not a gun club. We acknowledge that some members may have the legal right to carry concealed weapons. In these cases, the laws of the state supersede our bylaws, and our members may carry concealed weapons if they are legally authorized to do so. Members who have earned this privilege should keep their weapons concealed at all club events, unless a legitimate situation arises in which a firearm is needed. In all other regards, Rising Sun members should not bring firearms to club events. Open carry of firearms is expressly prohibited for all members in order to maintain a family friendly environment.
The point is, if you're going out shooting then it's not a club event. And if you're on a club run the expectation is we won't see any guns. Or beer, for that matter.

I'll ask the mods to move this to our hunting/fishing area, as it's more appropriate for there anyway.

www.gamiviti.com