Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 11-05-2013, 02:02 PM

I agree with nakman
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

I also agree with Tim's assessment and was going to suggest we move this to the hunting sub forum. I consider this a special interest topic as it relates to our Toyota 4x4 club. And as Tim pointed out in our bylaws shooting should not occur on our runs.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
I also agree with Tim's assessment and was going to suggest we move this to the hunting sub forum. I consider this a special interest topic as it relates to our Toyota 4x4 club. And as Tim pointed out in our bylaws shooting should not occur on our runs.
That brings up another question.

Any member has the privilege of organizing a club run. Do we discourage members from posting up a "Does anyone want to go and let live rounds go downrange?" thread in the Upcoming Events section? We also have non-RS members that join us for club runs and post on the forum (all welcome and encouraged)...... Do we ask that they not organize events or look for shooting partners on the site? I don't really have an opinion either way on this. All I care about is that it's done safely and responsibly.

I thought I remember seeing one or two of those this summer?

And FWIW, MisleadYouth is a Marine and therefore a Brother of mine. Although I've never met him, I can assure you he cleaned up his brass and shot responsibly.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 AM

I have 2 or 3 drafts I was going to post, but It is like beating a dead horse.people are going to shoot/target practice wherever they want. please not on the trails listed before,the more other people see that they can shoot there the more brass that our club will have to pick up.I grew up in clear creek county[empire to be exact] and they would shoot at the old dump,meeting place for the bill moore lake run, not sure if you can shoot there any more. I can talk to my uncle and find out where he shoots, he lives in empire. just my 02 worth.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you guys are just looking for a place to shoot. I am always up to taking a couple guys out to Colorado Rifle Club. The range has one of nicest 1000 yard ranges around. It is so much easier to shoot out there, and not have to worry about all of the rules,regs and hikers you have to worry about in the national forests.
I think the only things restricted is full-autos and 50BMG. (We have other places we shoot them)

PM me if you are interested and we can exchange contact info. That way we don't use the RS forum for arranging anything.

It would not be club sponsored event.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I don't believe it's appropriate, or practical, to try to restrict what potential gatherings can and can not be posted up. People here meet up for breakfast, to go shopping, help each other move, just as often as they meet to wrench, wheel, or camp. Nothing wrong with that. The only line is, if the gathering involves guns, alcohol, or let's just say for the sake of discussion anything outside the scope of Toyota 4x4's, then it's not a "club event."

If I were to arrange a shooting expedition, I probably wouldn't post up about it... but that's because I already know who I'd want to go out with, already know where to go, and would likely coordinate that through email or phones, or even PM's here. Just like John did above ^^ I appreciate the discretion, and suspect the majority would agree that yes, that's the way to go.

However I could also see if I were new in town, new to the hobby, or new to Toyotas, then heck it would seem totally appropriate to try to make some new friends who share my same interests. And it is. And when that happens the ensuing posts that follow from folks making their case to pick up your trash, stay on the trail, respect other people, etc. are also completely appropriate, and welcome, and actually why we're all active here in the first place right?

I'm a obviously huge advocate of our site here, our club, and the contributions we are making in our community. I love Toyotas, like driving them, modding them, fixing them, buying and selling them, couldn't begin to list the amount of things to that end that I've learned from this group. Add to that list how I've learned to weld, how to cut tile, wire a house, jet a motorcycle carb, and configure a mail client- probably even a longer list than the Toyota stuff, all learned from the friends I've made here. This is also where I met the friends who taught me to shoot a handgun safely.

I appreciate everyone who's posted here, great discussion, and again just reminds me what a terrific group of folks we have here.

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 11-06-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

That is a gracious offer! Gun folks are some of the best folks you'll meet and Toyota gun folks are in a class all their own.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
However I could also see if I were new in town, new to the hobby, or new to Toyotas, then heck it would seem totally appropriate to try to make some new friends who share my same interests. And it is. And when that happens the ensuing posts that follow from folks making their case to pick up your trash, stay on the trail, respect other people, etc. are also completely appropriate, and welcome, and actually why we're all active here in the first place right?

I appreciate everyone who's posted here, great discussion, and again just reminds me what a terrific group of folks we have here.
Wow, good discussion once this got moved into hunting. My aim wasn't to talk so much about firearms, but here we are.

Nakman, well put. When I started this thread I had no intention of promoting a place for others to shoot near campers/recreators or turn a piece of forest into a dump. Conversely, I was looking to see what areas were around that would not create the problems listed above. Those here I would expect to be responsible and to have helpful tips to keep newcomers, like myself, in areas that are safe, shooter-friendly, and hopefully not trashed by anoyone; camper/shooter/off-roader/hunter.

For those discouraging gun talk or target practice places consider this:
Would you rather people go out and completely wing it? Would you rather people go on a random trail and wander until they find a spot they think might be a safe place to shoot? I wouldn't. I would much prefer to reach out to a community where folks can share what areas work well for target shooting and what areas do not. There are very few designated shooting areas published by the various forest areas (which is unfortunate), yet there are thousands of good spots and even more bad areas.

For reference, where I ended up going in the Rock Creek Hills trail network I didn't see a single other person/car within 5 miles or so. That for me, is the ideal place. Remote, safe, significant backdrop and somewhere we can enjoy our common interest; wheeling a Yota.

I wasn't aware of restrictions on "gun-runs" so that's good to know. Going forward I'll make sure I'm not portraying any kind of "club gun-run". I don't think this one was perceived as such, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Happy wheeling and responsible use.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Great stuff man, and happy to have you! Do you have a Supra, btw? twin turbo?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Great stuff man, and happy to have you! Do you have a Supra, btw? twin turbo?
Supra, yes. Turbo, yes. 1990 7MGTE 3L turbo, 330k on the chassis/body/interior which needs some freshening, but the engine is relatively new/rebuilt. I made a complete wire harness a couple winters ago and rebuilt the engine a few years prior.

It's not a rocket ship like many of the modified newer Supras but it's still an absolute blast. After nearly 7 years it still makes me giddy every time I roar up the on-ramp.