Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Rock Stacker

Default WTB: 100 series (either LC or LX)

Hey guys, I have been lurking on ih8mud and other forums for a while now and am finally ready to take the plunge on a 100 series. I have been very excited to begin building an overland and light/medium trail rig and I'm convinced a 100 series is the way to go.

So with that said, what I think I want to find is pretty specific: a 2001 LX 470. I like the projector headlamps of the LX and 2001 was the last year where factory nav was an option (as opposed to in all trucks)... I'd prefer to not be forever saddled with hopelessly dated electronics.

I'd also be interested in an '01 or '02 LC without factory nav; '00+ gives ATRAC which seems desirable for poor traction surfaces and stability control also seems good to have if my wife's driving it on occasion. But with the higher incidence of bad transmissions in '00 I'm not sure I want to consider them but am open to input.

Any suggestions or sightings of trucks for sale? There's a few local in Denver that I may go look at... Just missed an '01 at a lot on Colfax this week that was my ideal setup. Likewise if you have a truck for sale let me know. Not afraid to fly for the right truck either.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Welcome! 'round these parts the recommendations tend to be either go old and get a 98-99 with rear locker (then add a front locker), or go 2003+ to get the 5 speed transmission. And still add the front locker

IMO getting the right driveline trumps electronics... heck these things still have tape decks. But the 5speed is a +3mpg upgrade most likely, maybe even 5.. big difference between 17 and 12. Just my 2 cents, good luck with the search! will post up if I run across a nice one.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Rock Stacker

nakman, thanks for the welcome and advice! I would totally be open to a '03+ LC without nav, but I know they're rare as hen's teeth.

Point taken about the 5 speed... I'm coming from a twin turbo V8 and a supercharged V8, respectively, so I realize these trucks are going to be dog slow no matter what and the 5 speed would definitely help a little bit. :P Am thinking I may even go to Slee and inquire about their turbo kit once I find the right truck.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Or the holy grail is supposed to be the '06 No Nav LC, a rare option that gives the updated front grill/lamps, 5-speed, ATRAC, VVTi and a clean No-Nav dash.

If towing is in the plan the 5-speed makes even more sense.

I'm just fine in 99, would love a 5-speed though.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have been looking for another 100 for a while now.

Your best bet is an 03 or newer. I have an 01, love it but the 5 speed in the 03-07, side airbags, are better all around. And if you mod the 100, you will lose fuel economy, so best to start with an 03 up.

Mine is fully moded, with drawer and fridge always in, just checked mileage yesterday 12 city, so not too bad. Will check highway mileage next week.

They are not that rare, but finding one that fits your liking could be. They are going to be super rare after 07, with less than 2000 sold in the U.S. per year after 2008.

Cars.com is the best right now. Cargurus used to be good but less rigs on their lately. Autotrader ok. CL ok but usually if they are on Cars.com, they are also on CL.

03s are coming way down in price 14-18 depending on mileage. 04-06s are 18-27k depending on mileage. 08s are 35-45 depending in mileage, also these are 200 series.

If Lexus is your cup of choice, add about 4k to the prices above.

I am no expert on these but I seem to know more than any sales guy I have talked to in the last week.

Also what do you want to do with the truck? These are great for family wheeling trips. Very capable but I am not convinced the limited travel of the torsion bar is equivalent to the newer gen IFS or Solid front axel options available.

Hope this helps.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Also check Christo's website for the differences between years.

98-99s lockers no ATrac, weak front diffs
2000-07 Atrac no locker, better front diffs, 2000s have tranny issues at 120k
2003-07 5 speed, side airbags, other electronic stuff like Nav, gear ratio different also
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Rock Stacker

Part of my challenge here is passing the wife test from an outlay perspective as we're looking to have no payments as we ramp up for saving for a new house... So I think no matter what I'm looking at an 00-02 since the 03+ cost jumps significantly and I'm a cash buyer. If the 4 speed proves unbearable I will look to "trade up" before I get too deep into modding the truck, but its a lot easier to make the case with a slow truck in hand. It's funny how varied the pricing is on these trucks.

Luckily also don't have to commute in the truck, so gas mileage isn't really a big concern. If I can somehow scare up a TRD supercharger or figure out a turbo kit, even with the 4 speed, that + gears will probably keep me happy.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Rock Stacker

nakman actually raises a good point re: the 98-99s.

Would I be nuts for having my wife (occasionally) drive around a 5500 lb truck around without traction/stability control in this day & age? We have two kids under 2, too, so I'm slightly concerned about the safety of the truck without ATRAC etc. when it's available on the '00+ trucks. I also hear you re: side airbags on the '03+ but side airbags can actually be dangerous for young kids in car seats in the rear... So conflicted!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
nakman actually raises a good point re: the 98-99s.

Would I be nuts for having my wife (occasionally) drive around a 5500 lb truck around without traction/stability control in this day & age? We have two kids under 2, too, so I'm slightly concerned about the safety of the truck without ATRAC etc. when it's available on the '00+ trucks. I also hear you re: side airbags on the '03+ but side airbags can actually be dangerous for young kids in car seats in the rear... So conflicted!
Because the kids will sometimes be in the vehicle, I recommend a 01 or newer. The LATCH anchor system wasn't installed until middle production for 2000 model years.

That may not be a big deal for you and this is a huge and safe vehicle either way. IMO, the LATCH makes for a much more secure car seat than a standard belt.

Also, the turbo system is about $7500 and the supercharger is +/- $4000 plus the instal. Obviously the supercharger is more of a DIY, but sourcing everything together is extremely difficult. You could be $10k all in for the turbo, plus the $10-15k you paid for the vehicle.

If you plan on doing some mods/upgrades you may not like the 4spd without regearing. Especially if one of those mods is bigger tires. I had a 20% change in gearing by going to 35s. That's pretty significant and I have the 5spd. I could still pull away from the guys in 4spds going up Floyd Hill. The bad part is I'm to the floor going 40 and they're to the floor going 30. I also wouldn't shy away from a NAV equipped vehicle. There is very little data that shows this is a problem area in any year LC or LX.

OTOH, regardless of what year you buy....... A front locker from TJM or ARB should be at the top of your mod list. It's a proven weak point of the 100 series. I don't think the 2 pinion vs 4 pinion is a valid argument either. The ring gear is known to break on all years. That's $1500-2000+ that should be added to the cost of the vehicle.

Just my .02

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW

Last edited by Fishy; 11-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Personally lack of a 5-speed would be a deal breaker for me on a 100 series.

Has anyone ever looked into ordering non-nav interior trim to dumb down the typical equipment packages. Seems that would be easier than adding a 5-speed.

But hey what do I know, I drive an 80
2004 Starcraft 10RT