Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

The supercharger was discontinued because some engines were damaged. Some have had no issues.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the feedback guys. I need to go drive another 100 with the 4 speed and see "just how bad" it is... I just sold a '96 Bronco that I suspect had more pickup but was far cruder and less safe (or easy to live with) re: the kids in the back. If I need speed I can always go drive my E55 that my wife has now usurped after she wrecked her Cayenne.

Re: LATCH - that was totally in my mental calculations re: '01+ but I had failed to articulate it. I do like LATCH, particularly since both kids are still rear-facing. Worst-case scenario, could I not trade out the second row of seats in an '00 or older for a '01+ middle bench and get the LATCH anchors, as I think they're built into the seat itself?

As much as I want to get a 5 speed, if I want a truck this month and don't want to finance it I think an '03+ is out of the question unless I come across a miraculous deal. I'm really surprised no one has figured out how to do a 5 speed swap on the older trucks... Must be lack of number of trucks in the market, whereas say the Chevy guys are all over this kind of thing.

Last re: swapping the non-nav headunits into '03+ trucks, there's a guy on mud or one of the other forums I found that was working on a swap kit and then got stalled, no updates in over a year. Apparently it's more than just trim, it's harnesses behind the dash and worse yet the HVAC controls being integrated into the nav unit. Boo on Toyota for ever thinking that was a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
The supercharger was discontinued because some engines were damaged. Some have had no issues.
The one thing I have read/seen there (that's totally apocryphal, I'll admit) is that the SCs were discontinued due to damage on the 4.7 Tundra motors, not necessarily the LC/LXs. My understanding is that the LC/LX may have stronger conrods, which is where I understand the Tundras may have seen failures? Totally not sure on this.

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
...I need to go drive another 100 with the 4 speed and see "just how bad" it is... I just sold a '96 Bronco that I suspect had more pickup but was far cruder and less safe (or easy to live with) re: the kids in the back....
I have a 99 LX470 with a 4 speed. I don't think it is under powered. I also have a 96 Bronco (with the 302 with a 5 speed) and can confirm it has more pickup than the 100 series.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Personally lack of a 5-speed would be a deal breaker for me on a 100 series.

Has anyone ever looked into ordering non-nav interior trim to dumb down the typical equipment packages. Seems that would be easier than adding a 5-speed.

But hey what do I know, I drive an 80
The problem is that it's not a direct swap. The NAV also incorporates the HVAC controls and audio system. It's an enormous undertaking.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Same but different scenario with the transmissions- way more electronics and control modules are involved, far beyond unbolting the 4-speed and slapping in a 5-speed. I have asked, and was pretty convinced it's not worth the trouble. Was hoping it was more like putting an H-55f into a 60 series.

Where I wish I had 5 gears is when towing- it's a huge jump from 2nd to 3rd, and going up Vail pass or similar it's like you go from red line to nothing... you rap it out in 2nd then third is an RPM so low you can't maintain speed, so you end up shifting to 2nd again. I've resorted to just manually shifting to 2nd, keep it around 45-50, and forget about 3rd until I've hit the top.

I also wish I had 5 gears when wheeling descents- 2nd gear is just a little too fast for actual controlled downhills when it's just a little technical- think Ouray side of Imogene. So I either ride my brakes a lot in 2nd, or go pathetically slow in 1st. Seems like the 5 speed guys are more in the sweet spot of 2nd gear... just the right amount of speed, don't have to hit the brakes as much, etc.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Rock Stacker

Drove an '01 LX this afternoon and wasn't entirely put off by its pickup on 275/70/16 tires, but I readily acknowledge that 33" + people and gear will make that thing sad.

So... Should I open up my search? Would a '03+ v8 4 runner or GX470 be worth considering? I also realized/remembered today that for whatever dumb reason Toyota put the two LATCH positions in the middle and driver's side seating positions in the middle row instead of both outboard spots - again, weird and inconvenient move.

Thoughts on 4th gen v8 4runner or GX? Either of those are also in the ~$10k range I'm looking to keep near.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would think an early GX should fit into your price range or the 4R. But I'd personally go the GX route even though the aftermarket does not embrace it. We plan to replace our Subaru with one as soon as funds allow a cash purchase.

If you have not seen this take a look: http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...003-gx470.html There are a couple other good builds on MUD or search on www.toyota120.com for either 4R/GX

Model year changes to GX470: http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

I priced the GXs earlier this week and test drove one with wife.

I also had a 4th gen 4runner a few years back. The 4runner is wider and more leg room front and back. No thrid row seats on 80% of the 4runners but there are some out there and the body mounts are under the carpet for them even if they are not in there, I think.

The GX was super tiny inside front and back. Wife nixed it, pretty quickly.

The GX pricing for an 04 was 14-18k. There is one that looke really nice for 14,800 white with tan interior on CL. It had Stevenson plates but is not there, Mark is the seller, good guy.

2 are at Stephen's on Colfax/Monaco but prices seemed high for what you were getting.

The V8 4runner's are still spendy and rare. But much better for kids in the back, imo.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post
I also realized/remembered today that for whatever dumb reason Toyota put the two LATCH positions in the middle and driver's side seating positions in the middle row instead of both outboard spots - again, weird and inconvenient move.
The reason why they did that is because those are the two safest spots in the truck. A drivers natural instinct is to turn away from danger. Think head on, the normal reaction would be to jerk the wheel drivers side, leaving the passenger side wide open for impact.

For a two-child ride, I don't see how you beat the 4Runner. Especially the 5th gen. But, you can't fit 3 car seats side-by-side in the 4Runner. At least in our 4th gen we couldn't. The 100 you can.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
The reason why they did that is because those are the two safest spots in the truck. A drivers natural instinct is to turn away from danger. Think head on, the normal reaction would be to jerk the wheel drivers side, leaving the passenger side wide open for impact.

For a two-child ride, I don't see how you beat the 4Runner. Especially the 5th gen. But, you can't fit 3 car seats side-by-side in the 4Runner. At least in our 4th gen we couldn't. The 100 you can.
I think what we have here is the Japanese building for their market versus ours. In the US the right-rear (passenger) position is the safest for a kid - NHTSA says cars are hit more often on the driver's side in the US, which makes sense as crossing traffic, it's more likely to be coming from your left (sooner) than right. So in the case of the Japanese market having the two LATCH positions on the center and left, away from their traffic, makes more sense (due to driving on left and RHD.) Unfortunately with LATCH in center and left, our kids (on the left) are a little more vulnerable overall.

Why do you say the 4th gen 4runner's best for kids though? The trucks are significantly narrower than the LC, right? I only have 2 total so I don't have the 3 car seat dilemma thankfully.