Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Unhappy It's official: FJ Cruiser is dead

Toyota FJ Cruiser DEAD – Special Ultimate Edition Farewell

Toyota announced today at the SEMA show that the FJ Cruiser’s time has come. In a grandiose gesture, they presented a special 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition.

The iconic FJ Cruiser is officially dead. This last tribute edition pays tribute to the iconic vehicle.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while that the FJ Cruiser’s time was limited. Ultimately, the biggest reason for its demise is the upcoming 2016 CAFE requirements. Seeing how the requirements are based on the footprint of the vehicle and the really poor fuel economy of the FJ, Toyota would have had to significantly change the vehicle to meet CAFE. This just wasn’t going to happen.

The Trail Teams Ultimate Edition model is really quite a send off. It includes:

A race-inspired Toyota Racing Development (TRD) off-road suspension was developed and meticulously tuned for the Ultimate Edition. The new suspension includes TRD Bilstein race shocks with increased damping, articulation and high speed stability. The front shock assemblies are 66mm with new TRD race coil springs, which raise the front of the FJ just enough to level out the stance and improve the approach angle. The rear shocks are 50mm and are equipped with remote reservoirs to decrease damping fade.

The list of new TRD goodies doesn’t stop there. A newly developed TRD front skid plate, made from one-quarter-inch thick aluminum plate comes standard on the Ultimate Edition. The TRD stamped front skid plate not only looks great, but improves approach angle and provides an increased level of underbody protection. TRD 16-inch bead lock wheels with BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, rock rails and roof rack complete the exterior.

The Ultimate Edition FJ Cruiser is only available in 4×4 and comes standard with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Crawl Control (CRAWL available with automatic transmission only), Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) with off switch and electronically controlled locking rear differential. In addition, the Toyota Star Safety System is standard.

This vehicle definitely left its mark on the American automobile landscape.
Toyota says that they will only build 2,500 FJ Cruiser’s next year and the new 2014 models will be in dealerships in February 2014. The FJ has sold more than 200,000 units since 2006 and will be one of the most iconic vehicles in Toyota’s history.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ecial-edition/
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Wasatch Cruisers

Announced? Didn't Toyota make this official 6+ months ago?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Rock Stacker

I find it funny that Toyota said they are getting rid of the FJ Cruiser because of the 2016 CAFE standards. Funny that this has such "poor gas mileage" at 16/20 but they are keeping the Land Cruiser and Sequoia with it's "poorer gas mileage" at 13/18.

I'm not bitter or anything and own a 07 FJC but at least give us the real reason and not just some lame exucse. http://www.toyota.com/all-vehicles/
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

The FJ Cruiser has been a poor selling truck for a couple of years now and Toyota won't stop making the Land Cruiser. They could maybe have stopped importing it. I suppose they could axe the Sequoia but that probably sells reasonably well to families and might have a larger profit margin.

The Prado/4Runner/Tacoma/Hilux are core vehicles globally and domestically. It's not surprising that the FJC goes, odd man out.

What just continues to confuse me is why they don't start dropping diesels in some of these truck to the get the CAFE average up. A diesel Tacoma has got to be good for a few MPG bump and they'd sell a bunch of them I think. What about a diesel Tundra?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Lifted

FJ Cruiser will still be for sale elsewhere from what I've read.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ahh the sun is setting on my past love...

I have heard that the FJ has had it's natural run in the US market and it was time for a model change or suplant the 4runner in it's place.

Might see another version in a couple of years or maybe not...

Even the lower sales over the last few years have still been pretty strong numbers.

One can only hope Toyota would bring out a more 40-ish style Cruiser with a removable top, diesel powered....I know not gonna happen..

I miss it already....

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

that was/is a good looking fj cruiser, really liked the look of that.

sad to see the fj cruiser go, but man a new fj40 with a diesel...that's the ticket .... I'd sell what I had to to get one if they made it and brought it here.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

maybe my resale value will go up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I miss it already....
I don't think I'll miss mine all that much. It's definitely been fun and it's taught me a lot but we've totally outgrown it. Now, it's just become annoying.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Chris, was that first pic BFE? I got cold just looking at it..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Chris, was that first pic BFE? I got cold just looking at it..
Yep, that was a fun trip but cold night. I think Perry even slept outside..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com