Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Wincher

Default 99 4runner wheel bearing

My friend just bought a used 4runner with a couple bad wheel bearings in the front. I told him before he bought it it would probably be no big deal to replace but after doing a little research everyone seems pessimistic. Has anyone done this?

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
Old 10-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

I took it off the truck and had the dealer press it out. The front wheel bearings are giant-sized and rarely fail. They are also pricey.

Are you sure it's the front wheel bearings? The corker is that it was my REAR wheel bearing making all the noise, and after seeing the ball bearing rear wheel bearing, it's no surprise it failed.

Unless it was contaminated by water or dirt, or dinged in an accident, I'd double-check the diagnosis of bad front wheel bearings. When my truck was put on a lift, in gear and running, my rear wheel bearings howled quite obviously. Wish I'd done this first, but to all the trained 'ears' - it sounded like the front bearing was bad.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, those bearings area pain. As said, make certain thats the issue!

Plenty here in the club who can do press work if you need it.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Wincher

thanks for the input guys I bought it from a co worker whos brother is a mechanic and he said thats what the issue is but ill look into it more before i start taking it apart I have a press here at work that handles tractor bearings and what not so im sure it can handle that. My friend already pruchased the bearing and it does look pretty stout i dont see why it would fail. But other than the press work its pretty self explanatory? Reading comments on other forums got me nervous.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I took it off the truck and had the dealer press it out. The front wheel bearings are giant-sized and rarely fail. They are also pricey.

Are you sure it's the front wheel bearings? The corker is that it was my REAR wheel bearing making all the noise, and after seeing the ball bearing rear wheel bearing, it's no surprise it failed.

Unless it was contaminated by water or dirt, or dinged in an accident, I'd double-check the diagnosis of bad front wheel bearings. When my truck was put on a lift, in gear and running, my rear wheel bearings howled quite obviously. Wish I'd done this first, but to all the trained 'ears' - it sounded like the front bearing was bad.
I had my friend take it to a mechanic to diagnose it turns out it was the rear wheel bearing. Thanks so much for the advice. Did you do the work yourself ?