Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Ospreys I have used, with standard .45 ammo, have been extremely quiet. You can hear the slide sliding and the bullet impact the target. If you're shooting steel plates, the impact on the steel is louder than the weapon being fired.
The Osprey can weighs next to nothing, and doesn't hinder accuracy and maneuverability, other than the fact that the pistol is now twice as long as it was before.

However, I would highly recommend raised iron sights, as the top of the can does interfere with the sights even though it's oblong shaped towards the bottom to help deal with this problem. It is designed to be used with raised sights or a red dot. However, with a little practice, I could hit just about whatever I needed to with standard sights.

Bottom line: Loads of fun.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
Seeing these pics reminds me I really need to get around to forming a trust so I can buy a can. Nice FN's.
Just an FYI to everyone.
Suppressors are expensive. So if you're looking for a suppressor for a rifle, but you have several rifles that you would like to suppress…. Here's a little trick.
Let's say you have a .308 of some kind and an AR-15. Buy a Can for the .308. Buy an adaptor for the Can to be able to go on the AR-15. The 30 cal Can will work 99% as well on the .223/5.56 round as a Can that is specifically designed for that round. This way you only have to purchase one Can (go through the ridiculous red tape only once) and you can switch it back and forth between the rifles that you're shooting at half the cost.

TLCA #22468

Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Lifted

The trust route was mentioned before, and is HIGHLY recommended. It's a much easier route (once the trust is set up) and keeps the item, suppressor, machine gun, etc..., in the trust, so you're able to pass it down to other trustees. You can keep the NFA stuff in the family or within a trusted group of friends rather than the gov't confiscating it if you pass. Probably not something your family would want to deal with on top of everything else.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Just an FYI to everyone.
Suppressors are expensive. So if you're looking for a suppressor for a rifle, but you have several rifles that you would like to suppress…. Here's a little trick.
Let's say you have a .308 of some kind and an AR-15. Buy a Can for the .308. Buy an adaptor for the Can to be able to go on the AR-15. The 30 cal Can will work 99% as well on the .223/5.56 round as a Can that is specifically designed for that round. This way you only have to purchase one Can (go through the ridiculous red tape only once) and you can switch it back and forth between the rifles that you're shooting at half the cost.
That is good info. I am in fact going to put this on a 308 win precision rifle.
(It would nice to be able to come home and not have tinnitus after shooting it)
It would be cool to suppress the AR's too.

Do you guys have any recommendations on attorneys to setup the trusts?
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

For my trust I went through an attorney in Loveland, Rodney Woodard...did everything via email. Cost $300. Here's his info:

Rodney W. Woodard
Attorney at Law
2399 Lawson Drive
Loveland, Colorado 80538
(970)667-4848
(240)235-8748 Fax
Rodney@WoodardLaw.com

Oh, and there is talk about changing the trust regulations so that all principles of the trust must get finger printed and go through the standard LEO sign-off. The comment period on the BATFE regulations is currently open, and if I recall, closing in early December. If changed, I don't know when it would take effect, but I wouldn't wait.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
For my trust I went through an attorney in Loveland, Rodney Woodard...did everything via email. Cost $300. Here's his info:

Rodney W. Woodard
Attorney at Law
2399 Lawson Drive
Loveland, Colorado 80538
(970)667-4848
(240)235-8748 Fax
Rodney@WoodardLaw.com

Oh, and there is talk about changing the trust regulations so that all principles of the trust must get finger printed and go through the standard LEO sign-off. The comment period on the BATFE regulations is currently open, and if I recall, closing in early December. If changed, I don't know when it would take effect, but I wouldn't wait.
I just pinged him. Turns out if you send a blank email to NFATrust@WoodardLaw.com there is an auto-responder that sends you all the needed info.
Thanks for the recommendation.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
That is good info. I am in fact going to put this on a 308 win precision rifle.
(It would nice to be able to come home and not have tinnitus after shooting it)
I hear ya, man. That is no joke.

Shooting suppressed is so enjoyable.
It really is a mystery to me why they are so overly regulated. The reduction in noise not only for the shooter but also for the over all ambient noise pollution is significant. Especially where there is a shooting range within ear-shot of a housing area, where the homeowner's association inevitably complains about the NOISE.
But there seems to be this misconception that if the general public is allowed to just purchase a silencer just like any other firearm accessory, that people will just go around killing each other because they think they can get away with it because there's no noise. There's this idea that if you have a "silencer" then you're a bad guy, who only has it to do bad things with.
Really? How many public figures have been assassinated with "silenced" weapons in our history? How many mass shootings have had "silencers" used in them?

The bottom line is, is that the people who are dead set on doing an evil act with a "silenced" weapon, are people that can get their hand on a silencer, or build one, with out the government ever knowing. Regulation of firearms and/or firearm accessories NEVER stops a bad guy from committing an evil act with a firearm. Regulations only effect the law abiding folks, like us, who would never use those devises for anything but hunting, target practice, and legal self defense. Makes me so mad...
Anyways, I'll stop ranting now...

TLCA #22468