Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Charcoal canister replacement or rebuild or Auto Zone parts

I have the gas pressure issue at the gas tank and believe my charcoal canister is in need of repair/replace.

There is a pretty good thread over in the 80 series section of mud by Jeeper. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ml#post8932519

Ken, did that solution work ok for you?

Has anyone in here done this lower cost option on a 100 series? If so, does it work ok at altitude?

A new OEM canister is 500.00
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I replied to your MUD post, but I'll copy/paste it here as well for the folks who can no longer stand IH8MUD because it's nothing but armchair mechanics who love to point out everything that you do is wrong or should be done better or should cost more.....

Chris.....I've had this issue for a long time. My canister is located under where the spare should go, but same concept. It was so bad at one point that vapor would pour from my gas cap so heavy it would turn back into liquid and run down the side. I carried wipes just to clean it on the trail.

I checked all hoses and replaced the gas cap last year. Still had the issue. For the past 12 months+ I never filled all the way up unless I absolutely had to. Especially not right before hitting the trail. I always thought the charcoal would not dry out, but since then I've had very little trouble with the vapor/smell. Not in the heat, not at altitude. I *think* the charcoal canister gets overwhelmed from all the fuel in a full tank sloshing around and expanding from the heat/altitude and that's where the smell/vapor comes from. By not filling all the way (or giving that last squeeze at the pump after the auto shutoff) I'm leaving some room for all that to happen and the system to cope with all the extra vapor.

I also looked into a cheap fix like the 80/Dodge canister, but I couldn't find anything. I had no issues this year at all. Whether that's luck or it really worked, I don't know. But I'll take it for now.

Also, I left my truck running for a few minutes at altitude prior to shutting it off to let the EVAP system catch up.. As soon as you shut down, the EVAP system stops working, although when at it's worst the vapor would still continue to purge at the gas cap. I would slowly open the cap and allow the pressure to release. I think if I were to just twist the cap off quickly, I'd get a face full of fuel, so go slow when you do that.

Surely, someone on MUD is gonna reply with a better way because they know more than I do. But, my free test/fix worked for me and I had no trouble this year on the trail. But again, everyone over there gets out more than I do too.....

I sent you a PM as well. Derek at Stevinson said they've never replaced a charcoal canister for a 100. That's what prompted me to look at what else might be wrong.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW

Last edited by Fishy; 11-23-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Lol, thanks Stan!

Derek's comments are helpful. I probably need to start with checking to make sure the valves are working properly and then try your option from there.

I hear the valves get stuck and that could be what is going on also. I only have 95K miles on this rig, so it is not like 195K where maybe this thing needs to be replaced from use.

I usually only have the issue in the summer heat. Had it a little in the Maze, when it was warmer at the end of the day.. And I did not have a full tank most of that time.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can't speak for specifics to the 100 but I did replace my canister in the 80 with the autozone option. I always had pressure in the tank during the summer but it wasn't too bad. This last fall going down to Salida it was bad enough I couldn't fill up at a gas station because (even after venting) it would trip the pump off.

So far no issues but haven't had it in real hot weather yet. Driven at altitude plenty and no issues.

Personally I think the issue with my canister is that the check valves were sticky and not functioning. Thats the only way pressure will build up in the tank, regardless of if the charcoal is saturated or not. Once the pressure builds enough it should purge out the valve on the canister. If the valves in the canister work properly and the VCV/VSV/etc system in the car is working properly, it should be either burning the vapor or venting out. It should only build pressure in the tank until the release purge valve releases it (or at least that is my understanding). Replacing mine was a double bonus as all the valves work and the charcoal is new. Plus the vsv valve was replaced when did the HG, so I have hopes this will fix the issue. I don't want to explode

I kept my old one and plan to R&R it when I have time because the fitment is so much better on the original one (go figure).

HTH.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

My autozone canister on the 80 has worked flawlessly! Used to have all these problems...especially at altitude. No longer.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 11-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post

I usually only have the issue in the summer heat. Had it a little in the Maze, when it was warmer at the end of the day.. And I did not have a full tank most of that time.
I think not having a full tank for that trip is irrelevant. Since the charcoal in the canister is already saturated, it cannot perform as designed anyway. It took some time of not filling all the way and never topping off before my system improved. I would say a few months at least. Do you ever give the pump an extra squeeze after the auto shut off? If so, I wouldn't do that anymore either.

My canister looks like a shoebox and is located differently than yours, but the problem is the same. Unlike the 80 though, I've heard of very few people ending up with vapor lock while at the pump. I think our issue is different than the 80 in that way.

Our OEM cost is less than the Autozone one too. I bet if you did a new instal it would "fix" the issue until it happened again. (Sloshing fuel/pressure overwhelming the EVAP system)

Xplore Colorado

Last edited by Fishy; 11-23-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Typo.... I post, then fix
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I think not having a full tank for that trip is irrelevant. Since the charcoal in the canister is already saturated, it cannot perform as designed anyway. It took some time of not filling all the way and never topping off before my system improved. I would say a few months at least. Do you ever give the pump an extra squeeze after the auto shut off? If so, I wouldn't do that anymore either.

My canister looks like a shoebox and is located differently than yours, but the problem is the same. Unlike the 80 though, I've heard of very few people ending up with vapor lock while at the pump. I think our issue is different than the 80 in that way.

Our OEM cost is less than the Autozone one too. I bet if you did a new instal it would "fix" the issue until it happened again. (Sloshing fuel/pressure overwhelming the EVAP system)
OK, so I could not fill up all the way for a few months and dbl check the valves to make sure they are not sticking? Will the Charcoal canister then eventually not be saturated and thus not need to be replaced?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
OK, so I could not fill up all the way for a few months and dbl check the valves to make sure they are not sticking? Will the Charcoal canister then eventually not be saturated and thus not need to be replaced?
I believe this is what happened with mine. I had been told that once the charcoal in the canister is saturated, it won't/can't dry back out. So, I only have my own experience to fall back on.

I was just trying to avoid spending a bunch of money.

Xplore Colorado
Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I believe this is what happened with mine. I had been told that once the charcoal in the canister is saturated, it won't/can't dry back out. So, I only have my own experience to fall back on.

I was just trying to avoid spending a bunch of money.
Ahh, mine is saturated for sure. Back to square one. I am going to replace it.

Maybe we could do a group buy or something on Mud to get the price down.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Ahh, mine is saturated for sure. Back to square one. I am going to replace it.

Maybe we could do a group buy or something on Mud to get the price down.
I should have worded that differently. I think mine was saturated too. But instead of spending the money, I thought I'd try and let it clear out by avoiding overfilling for a while and see what happened.

I think Toyota can run a test on all the VSVs. It might be worth it before you make an expensive guess on what the problem is. $400+ is a heavy chunk to throw down. Although, one of the VSVs is on the canister and cannot be replaced by itself, it requires a whole new canister anyway.

Looking forward to hearing what you find.

Xplore Colorado