Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, that is a really sweet looking cruiser.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Travis.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Right now I'm 80% sure I'll be attending the Dec 4 meeting. Everything depends on what happens crossing the country. How long does it take to get from Kansas City to Golden?

Also, I intended to bring a membership application filled out but the link is not working for some reason. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt88 View Post
Right now I'm 80% sure I'll be attending the Dec 4 meeting. Everything depends on what happens crossing the country. How long does it take to get from Kansas City to Golden?

Also, I intended to bring a membership application filled out but the link is not working for some reason. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Have you attended one of our events? The bylaws state that a condition for membership is to attend one event and one meeting.

If not we'll probably have a Christmas Party and/or a snow run soon enough
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Yeah..... you might want to check the cost of living in Aspen or Telluride before you look for work there.. Avg housing/rental prices in Aspen are $1300+ per month for a studio with no garage. Average home prices are just under $1,000,000.

Average rental in Telluride is $1507 in 2011. Home prices are on par with Aspen at $968,000.

IMO Telluride is 10 million times better, but hard to find suitable work to pay for the lifestyle you mentioned. And, Telluride is pretty isolated from the rest of the state. I'm not a fan of Aspen at all. You'll need to make some nice bank if you want to accomplish the goals you stated above. It's no fun working 7 days a week to pay for your place to live. That leaves no extra coin for traveling, gas, food or even the ability to take time off.

I like Corbets advice of Grand Junction or Montrose, but they are VERY different from North Carolina and you'd be wise to spend some time there before committing.
Ridgeway, Montrose are great communities with more affordable housing, if you like that area....
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

It's about an 8 hour drive from KC to Denver
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

^^ same with Jacket, depends on how fast the cruiser can go and what the wind is like...

LOL telluride and aspen are 2 peas in a pod. I lived in aspen for a while. It's a fun town. great outdoor activities close by. Govt trail is one of my all time favorites. $ for a place to live are different for a single dude with no commitments. First year it's kinda tough if you don't know anyone. the more people you know the more lower $ housing opportunities you find.

Even Rasta stevie doesn't live in telluride anymore.. lol
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 11-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

The current plan is to stay in Lyons for an extended visit where I have a relative that has an extra room on a ranch outside of town. Also he is the recruiter for the Lyons FD and is going to help connect me with employment, which will determine where I live. Additionally I want to stay in close proximity with the club for at least the next year so I can use your collective knowledge to explore the state.
As per requirement that I attend an event.... Moab 2012. Additionally, I intend to participate in as many events with your club as I can, just the same as I do here in NC. It's part of my life.
An 8hr drive just upped the possibility of my attendance to 90%.
Thanks everyone
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's almost exactly a 600 mile journey from KC to Denver. To make it in eight hours, you have to average 75mph the entire distance, including fuel stops. Looking at the description of Burt, engine choice wasn't mentioned so I assume the 3FE still motivates her. Never known a female named Burt. Anyway, having made the same trip in an '88 FJ62 named Bart, by the way, numerous times, I wish you a strong tailwind if you plan on making the trip in fewer than ten hours. Don't forget that KC is about 700' above sea level and Denver is at 5280' ASL with quite a few large hills in between the two with winds out of the west the norm. Nevertheless, club meetings start at 7:00pm - don't forget you lose an hour between CST and MST - so you should make it, if not easily if you get an early start. Look forward to meeting you and checking out your truck.
Steve
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I guess i should mention I have to make the first trip without Burt. I'll be driving my Audi till I find a more permanent situation. Sorry if anyone expected to see her up close but I will bring pictures. It saddens me greatly and I guess I don't want to think too much about it. I should be able to tow her out in January or February.
Also, her full name is Burt Englewood, which is the cool dealership name plate on her tailgate so I went with it. The only female I ever knew with the name Burt was a big doberman that ran the house so I justified it. She was and is one big tough bitch. And my vehicles will always be female because I don't ever want to spend all my time and money on a man.