Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
from the first post "This is something to be aware of if you have a '76+ that is registered as a collectors, you are now required to pass emissions every 5 years in order to renew your registration."
Oh thanks Ige, I musta spaced that out. I started following this thread back when it started but prolly didn't remember that. I wonder what's up with Mike getting his '78 done without having to get tested? My '78 (Dec 1977 build date) FJ45 will be up for renewal next year for it's collector plates.

Completely off-topic, but your article in High Trails (part 2) about Annie is just outstanding!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Oh thanks Ige, I musta spaced that out. I started following this thread back when it started but prolly didn't remember that. I wonder what's up with Mike getting his '78 done without having to get tested? My '78 (Dec 1977 build date) FJ45 will be up for renewal next year for it's collector plates.

Completely off-topic, but your article in High Trails (part 2) about Annie is just outstanding!
I'm curious too about Mike. Jeff, your 45 didn't have emissions equipment originally did it? If not then you probably won't be on the hook to pass emissions.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Regarding the original question, I can tell you that when I took the Blue Mule (74 FJ40) in for emissions testing it did not have an air pump and I had plugged the air injection holes and it had an after market exhaust header. All they did was a sniff test and never opened the hood. At that time it was running on 5 cylinders and overall ran like crap, but it still passed the sniff test.

Isn't there still a clause in the law that says if you fail the test, you don't have to spend more than X dollars trying to get it fixed? The amount you spend is related to the age of the vehicle I think. I would think it would be easy to have receipts that meet the dollar value just by documenting say a rebuilt carb, tune-up and the labor to do those things.

Also, just 2 weeks ago we got collector plates for the 57 Chevy and no emissions test was required. Maybe because it is so old? Good thing too, because it currently smokes like a steam engine These laws defy logic.
Randy Rosetta KDØKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

You have to spend $715 at a shop licensed by them to do the work. You can't take it to any shop and you can't prove it will cost more than $715. What you can do is prove you live in poverty and they will waive all of it.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...t-and-waivers/

Repair Cost Limits

The limit is $75 for 1967 and older vehicles and $715 for 1968 and newer vehicles. Cost limits apply to all vehicles regardless of whether they failed the idle test or the I/M 240 test. However, these limits do not apply if the vehicle failed for visible smoke or missing emissions control equipment.

Waivers

You may be eligible for a waiver if you have reached the spending limit and your vehicle still won't pass the emissions test. Hardship waivers are also available. Call the Division of Motor Vehicles Emissions Office, 303-205-5603, to inquire about waivers.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...ir-facilities/

How To Find High Quality Repairs

Emissions Repair Guide

If your vehicle fails its emissions test, you are given some helpful materials, including a booklet called the Emissions Repair Guide. This booklet will help you identify a repair shop in your area that has had success correcting emissions-related problems.

If you do not receive this booklet, or misplace it, you may obtain another at any Envirotest-operated Air Care Colorado emissions testing station. You may also call the Air Care Colorado hotline at 303-456-7090 and ask to have the appropriate pages for your area faxed to you.

Each repair facility listed in the booklet has agreed to be rated on its emissions repair performance. The booklet is organized alphabetically by city or town for easy reference. Each listed facility includes address, phone number, credentials, and emissions repair training information. Most importantly, each shop is given a grade that reflects its success in repairing emissions failures on its first attempt. The booklet is updated quarterly, and the scores are weighted to reflect recent repairs. About 25 to 30 percent of the Denver area shops have agreed to be placed in the booklet.

You do not have to use a repair facility listed in this booklet. It has been prepared for your convenience only. You may choose your own repair technician. However, if you fail the retest and decide to apply for a waiver, only part costs will count towards the repair cost limits ($715 for 1968 and newer vehicles, $75 for 1967 and older vehicles).

Finding a Qualified Repair Technician

Ask these questions when selecting a repair technician:

Have you taken emissions repair training classes?
How much specialized training have you had in I/M 240 emissions repair procedures for 1982 and newer vehicles?
Are you listed in the Air Care Colorado Emissions Repair Guide? What is your repair effectiveness score?
Are you certified under Automotive Service Excellence? In which categories?
Are you a member of the Automotive Service Association or other similar professional organizations? Which ones?
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

adding this as it is now on their webpage:

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...lector-plates/

Collector Plate Regulations Change August 7, 2013

House Bill 13-1071 Summary

Changes the definition of a collector’s item to include vehicles that are 32 years old and older.
Requires vehicles model year 1976 and later to comply with emissions testing requirements upon registration and re-registration.
Requires the vehicle owner of a collector’s item to sign an affidavit acknowledging that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways more than 4,500 miles per year.
Who Does the Bill Impact?

Motorists who own a vehicle at least 32 years old are now able to register the vehicle as a collector’s item.
Motorists who own a 1976 and newer model year vehicle that was registered as a collector’s item prior to September 2009. Beginning August 7th, 2013, to re-register a collector’s item that is model year 1976 or later, the owner must have a certificate of emissions compliance.
Benefits to Vehicle Owners

Increases the number of vehicles that may qualify as a collector’s item.
Allows vehicles model year 1976 and later, that are registered as a collector’s item, to comply with emissions requirements every five years instead of on an annual or biannual cycle.
Allows vehicles model year 1976 and later, that are registered as a collector’s item, to complete the license plate renewal process every five years instead of annually.
Questions?
Contact the Colorado Department of Revenue Emissions Program at 303-205-5603.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Rising Sun member

So Mike how did you not have to do emissions on the '78?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I'm curious too about Mike. Jeff, your 45 didn't have emissions equipment originally did it? If not then you probably won't be on the hook to pass emissions.
When I imported it, I got an EPA waiver as part of the importation paperwork. Geeze I hope I still have it where I can dig it up. Still, I had to get it tested, and I couldn't get it done just anywhere, I had to go to the Colorado AIR program headquarters in Denver to get a dyno test. I don't know if the guy was the actual "head" of the emission program, but he was definitely the head guy there, a PhD chemist, took a keen interest in my truck, tested it himself and adjusted the carb himself until it passed. He was a car guy and went on and on about carburetor fuel metering and atomization pros and cons of fuel injection. He was the one who schooled me that at our elevation, EGR doesn't do jack except reduce power and economy and doesn't help NxOx because we never get the combustion temperatures that cause NxOx. It made what would have ordinarily been a painful experience a fun and interesting one.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Rock Stacker

So.........an interesting turn of events.

I received a letter a couple of weeks ago that said that the renewal doc's that stated I had pass emissions were incorrect, and that I do NOT have to pass emissions to renew. I was able to go to the Adams Cty. DMV yesterday and renew my tags without issue, except that I had to pay a $75 late fee for being 3 months late in renewing (and I have to send in a form to the state office to get that fee refunded).

I will try to scan and upload the letter for everyone's reference.

This is for my '79 that was grandfathered in for being registered prior to 2009.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
So.........an interesting turn of events.

I received a letter a couple of weeks ago that said that the renewal doc's that stated I had pass emissions were incorrect, and that I do NOT have to pass emissions to renew. I was able to go to the Adams Cty. DMV yesterday and renew my tags without issue, except that I had to pay a $75 late fee for being 3 months late in renewing (and I have to send in a form to the state office to get that fee refunded).

I will try to scan and upload the letter for everyone's reference.

This is for my '79 that was grandfathered in for being registered prior to 2009.
I would love to see that letter.... I can't follow what they are doing.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Wincher

I think I'm still confused. I have a '77 that was not previously registered with collector plates. Can I now get a test done every 5 years and get collector plates if I promise I don't drive more than 4500 miles per year?

I'm thinking yes but everything I see points to vehicles that had been previously registered as collectors...