Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Lifted

On to the rear axle. This one goes a lot quicker than the front. But we also won't be finishing it up completely right now. We will be stripping it down and then just tack welding the new spring perches until we can get in under the vehicle to set the correct pinion angle. We start by setting the axle up on stands which are on top of one of our rolling work surfaces.

Then remove the brake lines

And drained the diff fluid

Checking the factory pinon angle so we can get a better guesstimate on where to preset the new perches

Then removed the factory perches with a plasma cutter

And cleaned up the housing in preparation for the new perches

A look at the new perches. Much beefier than stock, and feature 3 different mounting locations for the center pin of the springs

Tack welding the new perches into place

Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Lifted

Shifting our focus onto the rear suspension, but mainly just on these components:

We have already coated the spring plates and you will notice the hardware is the same as the front.

Somewhere along the way of this 4Runner's life, she got an aftermarket exhaust system. The rear hanger for it will interfere with the new shackle hanger location. So we removed the exhaust hanger until we can determine how it needs to be modified.

We then installed the new springs and shackles

And hang the rear axle

We mounted the other two tires and wheels and were able to let it support it's own weight once again.

We still need to check/set the pinion angle and then we can pull it all apart to finish building the rear axle and fully weld the new hangers. But we are happy with the new stance.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Sweet! slight correction I believe those are FZJ80 rims, not FJ Cruiser rims. But who cares, nice work man.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Sweet! slight correction I believe those are FZJ80 rims, not FJ Cruiser rims. But who cares, nice work man.
Thank you for the kind words.

The rims may be originally off an 80, though I pulled them off a stock FJ Cruiser. Guess I just assumed they were OEM for that year. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Lookin' good!! I dig the step by step!
82 FJ40
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Lookin' good!! I dig the step by step!
Thanks. Got a LONG way to go before I get this one out of the shop though. And the owner just added on another couple of things he wants done this time around. He is very happy with the way things are coming together, which makes me happy. And the next couple of steps of this build are the more enjoyable ones for me. The custom fabrication stuff, where I get to be creative. Good times!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

the step by step is awesome.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Lifted

Missed highlighting this one with the front axle. Installed the tie rod into the hi-steer arms. Left the drag link out until we install the steering box. I will let the photos do the explaining

Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Lifted

Time to install the rear bumper. We chose to go with the Trail Gear rear bumper as it was priced low but still offered plenty of protection. The owner would like to have something custom made to replace it on a later date, so we will be leaving it alone (no modifications), except for coating it in paint.

Here is a look at the bumper freshly unpacked from shipping

A look at the rear without any bumper

And with the bumper installed

There are plenty more photos of the entire build thus far here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0284414&type=3

Next week we should be able to get into the fun stuff, some custom fabrication!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Lifted

Before we can start working on a front bumper, we need to strengthen the front cross member/spring hanger/frame section. To complete this we will fabricate a support plate for the area and weld it into place. This will add the needed strength as well as tie everything together neatly.

We begin by cleaning the area in question up and taking down the high spots in the existing welds in order for the new plate to fit properly.

We then take the necessary measurements for widths and heights and also hole placement. Then lay those out onto our material. The material we went with is 3/16" mild steel.

Then we cut the plate into the rough shape with one of our plasma cutters.

Cleaned up the edges and punched the through holes for the bumper mounting hardware

Mounted the plate into position using the factory hardware for the bumper

And then fully welded the plate into position and cleaned up our welds

Hope to be able to start on the front bumper design and fabrication soon. The shop is still crazy busy and other projects seem to keep taking precedence. The owner also just added another couple things to the "must do" list for us this time around. More details soon :evil: