Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Electrial Project Help Needed

Guys-
I recently bought a welder to start working on the 40 during the salt season that is winter here in Denver. I plan on doing the work in my garage, the only problem is that I don't have 220V in my garage. I got a quote of $1200 to install a sub-panel in the garage and install a 220V outlet. That seemed a little high and I'm kicking around the idea of doing it myself. The lines are run from my panel on the back of my house on a mast into the garage. I would need to install a 100 amp fuse and run the line on the mast into the garage for the sub panel. I have very little home electrical experience, much less something with high-voltages. I was wondering if someone who has experience in something like this wouldn't mind coming over and working out a game plan with me. I can do the work myself, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly (permits and such) Thanks!

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Search the forum, there has been at least one thread about this.

You do need a permit in Denver for this.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

There should be a couple of existing threads on this topic - here's one:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=16527

I added a new circuit to my garage for my welder, and it wasn't much trouble at all. If you can determine the max amp draw for your welder and ensure that you have space on your panel for a new breaker, then the rest is just running wire.

Tip #1: Make sure you shut off the main breaker on the house panel before you attempt to install a new circuit
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun member

Tip #2 if your house is like mine it won't have a main breaker on the house panel so then you're screwed...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Tip #2 if your house is like mine it won't have a main breaker on the house panel so then you're screwed...
Really? You'd have to pull the meter to work in the box? :-/

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Search the forum, there has been at least one thread about this.

You do need a permit in Denver for this.
You know, I didn't even think about searching for the solution. Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
There should be a couple of existing threads on this topic - here's one:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=16527

I added a new circuit to my garage for my welder, and it wasn't much trouble at all. If you can determine the max amp draw for your welder and ensure that you have space on your panel for a new breaker, then the rest is just running wire.

Tip #1: Make sure you shut off the main breaker on the house panel before you attempt to install a new circuit
Thanks Jacket! I hope it's not too tough. Still would like to bounce ideas of someone in person.

Quote:

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Really? You'd have to pull the meter to work in the box? :-/
Yeppirs. Well, there is a breaker for all my 110v stuff, but for anything upstream of that, yes. I know in Lakewood this type is longer allowed by code.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

if you need 15' of 50a romex, i've got a chunk leftover from when i added a 220 outlet in my garage. i'll make you a good deal on it.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Yeppirs. Well, there is a breaker for all my 110v stuff, but for anything upstream of that, yes. I know in Lakewood this type is longer allowed by code.
It's used to be the case with fuse panels years ago but they had a disconnect switch next to them. It used to be OK to run a split bus panel with a few larger breakers feeding into branch circuit breakers, which sorta sounds like what you have.

I'm not sure the NEC actually says you need a master breaker but it does say you need a way to disconnect all power that isn't the meter. They used to have a 6-throw rule, all power had to be turned off in 6 throws max. But I'd have to verify that still exists.

Having an obvious master is better obviously plus if the fire department ever came and found no way to shut off the power they might not work on your house.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Wincher

First off, I wouldn't recommend that anyone attempt installing an electrical sub panel, if they don't have some prior experience.

That said, I would be glad to lend some design assistance and possibly help you with your install if Im able.

From your description, I can't really picture what you already have in place, perhaps you can post photos?

Cheers, and good luck!

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)