Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thread revival......

I've got a gauge/sender issue that pops up occassionally on a SAAB and a scan tool should help isolate the problem. I've read about Scanguage and Ultragauge but do either of them offer a datalogging feature? I don't really need the log but it'd be another cool feature.

Here is a logger that I like but there is no built in display so the PC needs to be active to get any real time info.

http://www.obdcom.com/

It's the last two graphs on this page that have me interested:

http://www.obdcom.com/software-obd.htm

Ideally, I'd like a blend of the two devices: display and logging - anything available that does that?

My SAAB issue is a fuel gauge that sometimes reads low. It could be the sender in the tank, or a problem in the dash gauge according to the forums. Both are expensive to fix but if I can rule out the sender, it'd save some $. I also have a misbehaving temp indicator - again, could be the sender or the gauge. An alternate gauge should either confirm or dispute what the dash reads.

How do the fuel consumption displays work on the Scangauge and Ultragauge? They use a full tank value and a fuel use rate rather than reading the fuel level sender, right? The coolant temp value is read from the temp sender though - right?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I am having trouble getting my Scangauge II to connect.. have tried it on 2 different vehicles with the same results. Just gets hung up "Connecting..." I think I've tried to force every mode at least once.

Can anyone tell me what "mode" they're using? UZJ preferably, but I'll take whatever.

edit: I can do a pic
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well I ended up answering my own question. I called them, they say the correct mode is ISO for Toyotas.. for some reason though, my SG doesn't pick anything up, in any of our cars.

So they're sending me a replacement circuit board, they assure me it's easy to swap out..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well to wrap this up, I got the new board installed and all seems well. The detail can be found here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...ml#post8952346

here's the "after" pic:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

No doubt, when I first read your post I was thinking "faulty scan tool".
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had the exact same experience with one of mine (I have three). SG was great to repair/replace. Turns out it was a faulty harness.

Great product, particularly the coolant temp for the 80 and the trans temp for towing with my Taco. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"