Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Alcan Spring?

Does anyone here have experience with Alcan? Doing a little research this morning and they popped up. The Mud threads I dug up seem to have about a 50/50 split on yay or nay.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bruiser on here just put some on his 40. What are you putting them on?
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

What are you putting them on?

I got some for my 60 and have been happy although they did not deliver what I ordered. I asked for springs that were for a certain height with my rig loaded and they sent me their standard lift springs for a 60 saying I didn't know what I was asking for. This was after I corner weighed the truck and sent them all the specs that they asked for.

They are awesome springs when it is totally unloaded, but loaded to the number I spec'd it sags a ton & bottoms out when driven hard. It's a trade off I guess.

Also one of the first fronts I got lost it's arch within a week. I had to pay for a replacement, they said I did something to it as it would be very unusual for that to happen since they have such good quality control and the springs were the same batch. I guess did do something to it, I wheeled Spring Creek, that was it.

Since then they have been doing fine. I actually like them a lot compared to the OME's I had on there before, they fit better (are longer.. better shackle angles).

I'd get them again if I had to do it over I think. I'd just try to actually convince them to make them have a higher spring rate.
82 FJ40
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

they'll be going on a tundra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I got some for my 60 and have been happy although they did not deliver what I ordered. I asked for springs that were for a certain height with my rig loaded and they sent me their standard lift springs for a 60 saying I didn't know what I was asking for. This was after I corner weighed the truck and sent them all the specs that they asked for.

They are awesome springs when it is totally unloaded, but loaded to the number I spec'd it sags a ton & bottoms out when driven hard. It's a trade off I guess.

Also one of the first fronts I got lost it's arch within a week. I had to pay for a replacement, they said I did something to it as it would be very unusual for that to happen since they have such good quality control and the springs were the same batch. I guess did do something to it, I wheeled Spring Creek, that was it.

Since then they have been doing fine. I actually like them a lot compared to the OME's I had on there before, they fit better (are longer.. better shackle angles).

I'd get them again if I had to do it over I think. I'd just try to actually convince them to make them have a higher spring rate.
from what i've read, it seems that's a common theme with them which is a bit worrisome. quite a bit of abuse thrown around about them on mud but, i guess if you're willing to use them again, that says something. on the next go around, would you add a bit of a fudge factor on the numbers you give them?

with what i've got planned out, i'm guesstimating that the bed of the truck will have about 750lbs in it without gear, rear bumper or spare. adding those items in, it'll probably be near 1200.

lots to think about but it's a helluva lot more fun than real work...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

No, I don't think i' give them a fudge factor, I'd just want some kind of guarantee that they will make them hold what i asked at some respectable ride height. Their argument was that they knew what I wanted better than i did and every time they build truly custom springs for somebody they were unhappy. I started out asking for a specific length of spring and load capacity. I got their standard lift spring for a 60 with no extra load capacity. It was a fine length they just let the truck sag a lot. Maybe they didn't believe me when I gave them my axle weights I dunno. I called them about it and quickly realized that having anything changed was going to be a loosing battle and cost me a lot more $$.

For the 60 there wasn't a whole lot available I guess.. and Alcans seemed like the best option. I was willing to compromise the soft suspension for load capacity, I got a soft suspension that wheels nice empty and struggles loaded. It is what it is I guess. I'd guess most of what I personally do is unloaded so maybe they were right and knew what I wanted more than I did?

whats the gist of the complaints on mud? that they don't build to the right specs?
82 FJ40
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
whats the gist of the complaints on mud? that they don't build to the right specs?
yea, wrong specs. too short. too soft. flattening out. not great support post sale. however, there are also plenty of folks there and on the tundra forums that are super pleased.

i'm guessing it may be beneficial to just drive out there when i'm ready and spend the day getting the specs dialed directly with him in person.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've heard Marcos complaint lots of times before. I had them for a very long time on my old 4runner and they were solid. Never broke, kept a good height etc. I've heard that their quality control has gone down. Heck I even heard they went out of business. It's not a bad choice but for me I'd see what else is available.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Had them on my FJ60 way back when. Picked them up from Alcan in GJ. Loved them