Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Called Sherwin Williams - ArmorSeal 1000 is $109/gal x 2 (1 gal. each of base and hardener). Covers 500 square feet. When summer rolls around, I may try this out.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Called Sherwin Williams - ArmorSeal 1000 is $109/gal x 2 (1 gal. each of base and hardener). Covers 500 square feet. When summer rolls around, I may try this out.
Sounds about right, though that is 500 sqft once. Really need multiple coats. 2 minimum with dry time in between. Took me about 6 gal of each to do just under 1700 sqft. with two coats. With all other supplies needed (cleaners, muriatic acid, respirators, rollers, trays, etc) I was in it about $1200-1500 when all was said and done. But it was truly one of the best improvements I have done yet to the shop.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Wincher

Default One cautionary note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
I'm starting my own epoxy job in my new garage as soon as it warms up enough. I was going to do it last weekend but the weather and a missed epoxy shipment screwed me. Should be warm enough by the weekend to get it done (along with a heater).
...watch what type of heater you choose for this! Most (if not all) epoxy coatings will "flash off" very volatile organic compound vapors.

DO NOT USE a flame based space heater!!!

Also, if you happen to have heating equipment or gas fired water heating equipment within the space, you will want to turn these completely off so that there is no chance of a pilot light or electronic ignition lighting off these vapors.

I've installed Sherwin Williams Armor Coat in two different garages and in a portion of my (now) finished basement. The fumes will collect and become overwhelming in an enclosed environment. You need a certain amount of fresh air, and the protection from any ignition source when installing this type of project. Don't become a statistic.

Cheers and good luck with the project.

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)

Last edited by Tramontana; 12-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

The SW paint guy told me to thin the first coat slightly, so it soaks in. They sell a special thinner for this product.

David (Tramontana) - were you happy with the durability of the Armor Coat?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Lifted

Quote:
The SW paint guy told me to thin the first coat slightly, so it soaks in. They sell a special thinner for this product.
Interesting. Wasn't even mentioned or, I assume, available when I did it as it isn't on the original product sheet I have for them. But if it helps. I would do it in a heart beat. I am amazed at how well the flooring has held up without using a thinner with the first coat, and not even sure if it could hold up any better.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

I say tile it! Go big.

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Wincher

Default Quantified response is...

Quote:
David (Tramontana) - were you happy with the durability of the Armor Coat?
...yes I've been happy with it, but it is not a "perfect" solution.

It can scratch off if abused. I don't typically park in the garage, so it hasn't been heavily tested for hot wheel pick up, or severe mechanical abuse. It has served for motorcycle maintenance/repair work and general wood working but no heavy jacks, grinding, welding etc.

It does clean up well, and can be touched up as needed.

I put this in our basement "hobby room" and have had one small place that the epoxy has failed by spalling/blistering up, but this seems to be likely due to extreme moisture drive through the floor slab or perhaps a spot that did not get prepared perfectly?

Cheers!

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)